Transmission Shudder 1993 Lexus Es 300

I have a 1993 Lexus ES300 car. It has an automatic transmission. I am experiencing a slip or a shudder when the transmission engages. I need help troubleshooting this problem to identify the correct remedy. I have the Repair manuals for this car. Does this sound like I need to replace the transmission. The car has about 156000 miles. Any related info is highly appreciated.

I recently acquired an es300 which would lurch 3 or 4 times when starting, as though you were dabbing on the accelerator. Once it changed into 2nd gear, everything was fine. It was caused by a split in the air intake hose. Air was being sucked in downstream of the air flow sensor, which in turn was altering the amount of fuel injected to compensate for what it "thought" was a reduced air flow. A few wraps of tape fixed everything (temporarily). Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input, it is definitely useful. I certainly would not have thought of this as being a problem area. I will check this one out. Thanks again.