Delivery Time On An Es350

ketch

I'm getting ready to order a 2010 ES350 with the options I want. The dealer says it will take 3-4 months for delivery. I looked at everthing he had on the floor, but they seem to either be fully loaded with nav (which I don't want) and other options, or they take the basic ES350 and add what seems to be high priced options that I don't want (full sized spare, wooden shift knob, etc). I'd like to get the car equipped the way I want to drive it, not the way the dealer wants to sell it to me. Is 3-4 months a normal delivery interval or is he using this as a lever to get me to buy something he has in stock? Thx.

I ordered a Scion some time ago (that was also built in Japan) and they quoted me 12 weeks for delivery. Ultimately it was at the dealer in 3.5 weeks. I feel the dealers quote a certain delivery time to protect themselves from customers becoming upset, e.g. they tell you four weeks and it takes five and you are upset for a week.

One of my best friends ordered an Amber Pearl 350 with black interior, premium plus package with the UL wheels and it took a little over 5 weeks to arrive; he was still miffed. ;)

They have to custom build the car...so 3-4 months is legitimate.

I think thats foolish IMHO. They have GREAT deals on the ES now because of all this going on and you can buy one on the lot for invoice with no effort. What specifically do you want different?!?

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'm meeting with my sales rep next week to discuss pricing. I did meet with another sales guy yesterday (mine wasn't available) and he tried to tell me that options like front/rear parking sensors weren't available unless you bought a multiple option package, which they had on the floor. When I questioned him more, he finally admitted that I could order exactly what I wanted but it would take 3-4 months. I DON'T want a full sized spare; I haven't taken a spare out in 5 years. And, I DON'T want to spend $300+ on a wood shift lever and leather wrapped steering wheel. I do want heated seats, front/rear parking sensors and a couple of other items. If the dealer is willing to work with me on what he has on the floor, I'll be glad to buy it, if it has what I want. We'll see next week how close to invoice the dealer is willing to go. I've been watching for special offers being advertised but haven't seen anything on the ES in our area. What is IMHO?

IMHO means In My Humble Opinion...

I mean...to custom order a car because you don't want a full sized spare (they will just take the spare out when it gets to the dealer...the full size spare isn't an option its standard equipment and you don't want a wood shift knob is silly if you ask me. Wait 4 months because you want to save $400?

Lexus is offering 1.9% financing on the ES for 60 months, and the dealers are dealing. My dealer offered me $5k off list price (invoice) without any effort whatsoever. Thats not going to happen on a custom order.

You're entitled to your opinion, Steve, but the deal will have to be a good one if I'm buying an in-stock car with options I don't want and missing some I do. And, if a full sized spare is standard equipment, why does the sticker show an added cost of $205?

Yes, we all have our opinions. I personally think your reasons for wanting to order a 350 a truly laughable.

If you want a certain color combo they dont offer, that is one thing. But a spare tire and shift knob? Yowza.

The answer to your question is yes, its normal.

They have to find room in the production schedule, build the car, quality inspect the car, ship it to the US from Japan...and then truck it to Minnesota. 3-4 months sounds pretty plausible.

I bet your special order costs you approximately $4,000 over ordering a car configured as Lexus builds and ships them. Things like parking sensors the dealer can install...

Yowza is a good word...

And some dealers will not custom order a car. My dealer requires a $1,500 non-refundable deposit to custom order a car that is not configured as Lexus configures them. Looking through the allocations and requesting a specific car is one thing...but ordering a custom car is another. Lexus does everything they can to avoid doing that. If your goal is to save money...you need to buy a car that they actually build...

Picked up a new ES 350 Friday night. I wanted NAV, didn't want the spare tire or the HID.

Didn't have the extender seat or power sunshade I did want.

But, they gave me a deal I couldn't turn down. Took the 1.9% financing.

Picked up a new ES 350 Friday night. I wanted NAV, didn't want the spare tire or the HID.

Didn't have the extender seat or power sunshade I did want.

But, they gave me a deal I couldn't turn down. Took the 1.9% financing.

My grandfather waited 3 months for a special order. But I agree with the others, the salesman would rather get the cars he has off his lot and you could wind up paying less money for a car with more features than a lesser optioned "ordered car".

Picked up my new ES350 Friday. Beautiful car. Decided to take one with a standard option package after getting recommendations on this forum. Didn't get the rear sun shade or backup sensors I wanted. Dealer says he can't install an aftermarket backup sensor package, so they may not be as versatile as Steve's dealer. My dealer has been an "Elite of Lexus" dealer for 16 years so I was surprised when they said they didn't do this. I may go to another automotive shop to have it done.