New Lx450 Owner

gw2doc

Hey there everyone, bought my wife an 96 LX 450 last night for taking the 4 kids around town. It's very nice and was well kept, but being the anal retentive auto owner that I am, I need a little direction on maintenance schedules and where to locate parts.

It has 129k miles and no owners manual so I am unsure of what type of maintenance schedule it is supposed to be on. I checked Lexus.com and it has a PDF version of the manual, but the one section they fail to provide is the service schedule. I would really like to NOT have to bite the bullet and buy one of the over priced ones on ebay.

Also I'm guessing it is probably in need of a transfluid change and a filter, so I was wondering if there are any sites that sell "toyota" or "lexus" genuine parts other than going to the dealer, meaning they sell them cheaper than the dealer does. Sort of like AtlanticBritish does for Land Rover owners.

Finally, is there a Haynes manual available or something similar for this vehicle, maybe a land cruiser equivelant?

thanks in advance everybody.

oh yah one last thing, the driver visor was signed by Sammy Sosa, anybody know anything about that? Any chance he owned this LX before me? In which case I'll have to sell it, I'm a Brewers fan! hahaha JK!

Maurice

• 1 month later...

Hey there everyone, bought my wife an 96 LX 450 last night for taking the 4 kids around town. It's very nice and was well kept, but being the anal retentive auto owner that I am, I need a little direction on maintenance schedules and where to locate parts.

It has 129k miles and no owners manual so I am unsure of what type of maintenance schedule it is supposed to be on. I checked Lexus.com and it has a PDF version of the manual, but the one section they fail to provide is the service schedule. I would really like to NOT have to bite the bullet and buy one of the over priced ones on ebay.

Also I'm guessing it is probably in need of a transfluid change and a filter, so I was wondering if there are any sites that sell "toyota" or "lexus" genuine parts other than going to the dealer, meaning they sell them cheaper than the dealer does. Sort of like AtlanticBritish does for Land Rover owners.

Finally, is there a Haynes manual available or something similar for this vehicle, maybe a land cruiser equivelant?

thanks in advance everybody.

oh yah one last thing, the driver visor was signed by Sammy Sosa, anybody know anything about that? Any chance he owned this LX before me? In which case I'll have to sell it, I'm a Brewers fan! hahaha JK!

Maurice

welcome Maurice!

I highly recommend the Factory Service Manual for your Lexus LX 450. If you can't track down the FSM for the 450, you can also use the FSM for the Toyota Land Cruiser for the same model year. The Chiltons/Haynes manuals are okay in a pinch, but have nowhere the amount of detail as what you'd get in the factory manuals. I have both the FSM and the Haynes manual and use the FSM the vast majority of the time.

check out the 80s tech section of www.ih8mud.com (here's the link: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ) you'll find a FAQ section there with TONS of info for baselining your rig. There's info on the Mud site for ordering the FSM from Toyota if you want a copy.

as for the actual owners manual, I believe you can still get a free hard-copy of the owners manual from Lexus from their site (www.lexus.com). I ordered one a few years ago (which I still have on a shelf somewhere shrink-wrapped) from them. As I recall, I had to enter the VIN for my rig to get the manual.