Removing 2 Of The 3 Cats And The 2 Resonators

so i put my ls on the lift at school and looking under it i realized there are 3 catalytic converters and 2 of what i think are resonators before the mufflers, as i am a kid and emissions and noise are not the biggest deal to me, and more power is, i was thinking about removing the first 2 that come off right by the engine, then the pipes converge to one, go through one more cat, then split again to go to the resonators which i was also planning on removing, thus hopefully relieving the engine of some resistance and increasing power maybe. i was thinking there might be some o2 sensors around there as this being the car that it is may have a few, has anyone on here done this, or know if there are o2 sensors around these areas? or know if this will give it some power, or just make it louder

There should be four O^2 sensors and if you mess them up not only will you fail an emissions test but your have the check engine light perpetually on. The fuel mix will be off if the O^2s aren't working and it will either run rich (wasting fuel) or jump into limp mode where it will perform as the name says.

More power for a 2 ton living room on wheels?! This will never feel like a '68 Camaro I think you'll be disappointed with the outcome if raw power and speed is what you are looking for.

Four O2 sensors. The primaries set the A/F ratio, the secondaries adjust for catalytic efficiency.

I removed my resonators about a year ago after hanging one on a very tall speed bump and damaging it. I assumed I'd get something out of it, there was zero increase in sound or power. So although you can reduce a few pounds by deleting them you won't gain a thing. The converter removal may pick up a few horsepower, but the piping is really the issue on the LS, it's dreadfully small. The issue with removing the converters is they have a very weird upper flange, not something any muffler shop will have, so it's likely they wouldn't even touch it since they can't cut and weld to the manifolds. Plus, it's illegal to do so anyway.

or know if this will give it some power, or just make it louder

Louder is no prob. More power is a different story. Your idea for gaining power is about the same as using oversized injectors without adjusting fuel pressure, or using premium in cars designed for regular. The extra octane just drains your wallet with no benefit to performance. If you're interested in mods, think interms of systems rather than individual components. To change engine breathing that makes sense, you'd have to consider intake as well as exhaust and make sure the changes are compatible. Take some time, design the mods you want to make to ensure you get the performance you want and not waste your money or create probs.

Ditto on Blacktop - to really gain more horsepower will take some good money and good tech knowledge - these powertrains are way ahead of their time and still are more sophisticated than some modern powertrains as well - I've had these same thoughts as you untill I changed the timing belt and checked my valve clearances and compression, then I realized this is one powertrain not to be rifled with unless you have extensive knowledge on modern powertrains and thier limits - it is easy to work on but not easy to modify without loads of $$$

If you're looking to get some more noise out of it just delete the resonator and change the mufflers out, and leave the x pipe, and cats. you shouldn't fail any emissions and you'll be surprised with the sound you get. I've gotta get an x pipe put on my car soon hopefully it'll be a little bit more quiet. Everyone says i've ruined my car by putting headers on it and making it loud but to each his own. Being the youngin' that i am i like my car to sound like it's got some muscle. I know the ls is no race car by any means but it's a great boulevard cruiser and embarrassed some kid in a tiburon tonight on the expressway.

If you're looking to get some more noise out of it just delete the resonator and change the mufflers out, and leave the x pipe, and cats. you shouldn't fail any emissions and you'll be surprised with the sound you get. I've gotta get an x pipe put on my car soon hopefully it'll be a little bit more quiet. Everyone says i've ruined my car by putting headers on it and making it loud but to each his own. Being the youngin' that i am i like my car to sound like it's got some muscle. I know the ls is no race car by any means but it's a great boulevard cruiser and embarrassed some kid in a tiburon tonight on the expressway.

Tiburons are fun to smoke!

If you want a little more sound than pop off the back two mufflers. Leave the resonators on that are behind them and you'll have a little rumble. This is my current set up mainly due to the fact that I destroyed the back two mufflers last time I crashed. Although I must admit I love it. It's not excessivly loud, but you can tell there is somethink lurking under the hood.