What Is This Part?

PlanGK

Okay so I was putting everything back together after trying to get to the rear valve cover gasket. I couldn't figure out how to get that large harness out of the way. But when I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find a spot to plug in a particular hose I came to check the tutorial and saw that I had somehow broke off a piece where the hose would have gone. Can anyone tell me what I need to replace to fix this I have no idea what it's called. The yellow arrow is where the hose would be connected.

post-72122-127264480181_thumb.jpg

Okay I took the part out and heres what it looks like by itself. The third picture I have a green arrow pointed to the break point. This is where the hose would have went. Anyone know what this part is called?

post-72122-127265156781_thumb.png

post-72122-127265158539_thumb.png

post-72122-127265180052_thumb.png

That is called "VSV" (vacuum switching valve). It is used to control the variable induction system. There is a vacuum controlled valve at the passenger side of the intake plenum, it controls a butterfly valve (looks like a throttle plate), inside the intake plenum. It is used to control the effective intake runner length. At lower rpm's you want a longer intake to allow the momentum of the airflow to help fill the cylinders. At higher speeds you want shorter runners that allow for better filling. The ECM controls the valve.