Transmission Shifts:

Anybody with a 97 - 01 ES have any shifting problems as described with the pinned heading of the 02 & 03 but with the 4 speed automatic? I've have noticed almost the same shifting issues (hesitation) with my 01' Any suggestions? I'm planning to do a complete flush with the T IV toyota fluid soon....I wonder if that might help? :unsure:

A complete flush wouldn't hurt and possibly might help your problem. Basically, the hesitation problem was on the 5 speed transmissions from '02 up. A lot of people feel that in this case it was caused partially by the electronic linkage to the accelerator. I think this, Drive-By-Wire control was used starting with the '02 ES.

When do you feel this hesitation? downshifing? slow acceleration? fast acceleration?

The hesitation usually happens when I'm going let's say 20 -25mph & I need a little more oomph & I press the pedal about a quarter of the way down (no where near to the floor I want to point out) then she hesitates & kind of "bangs" into gear.

Not so much so that it sounds like the tranny just fell out onto the road, but enough that you ease up on the accelator pedal.

I also contacted several Lexus dealers in the Toronto area & they tell me the 01' ES does not need a transmission change.....it's a mesh screen that just needs to be cleaned every now & then & just re-installed......they just said to make sure I suse the Toyota T IV fluid when doing a complete fluid change. When I do this, I will probobly put a new gasket on at least as well, what do you think?

:cheers:

change the gasket always

but dropping the pan removes about 33% of it only

the rest is deep inside and needs to be flushed

i clean my filter always when i change it

i also use a machine to flush the old fluid out when it reaches operating temp

I plan to do just that skp, I will drop the pan to change the gasket & clean the filter as well as use the flush machine to do 100% fluid change. Which brings me to my next question.......

Does anyone know what the exact capacity of T IV fluid I need? I've been told that it is 8.25 litres & when doing a complete 100% fluid change, I need 12 litres as I need to use about 3.5 litres or so for "cleaning" the old stuff out of the tranny & torque converter......am I far off?

:cheers: