2005 Lexus Rx 330 - Low Gas Mileage On Full Tank

vanshaj

I got a 2005 model RX330 with 53800 miles on it. For past few gas fillings the cruising limit indicator shows 280 miles on full tank top-up. Earlier it used to show somewhere around 310. I tried wheel alignment, fuel injection cleaning, changing oil grades but no help.

How much your RX330 shows on full tank? I went to dealer to check and as per them everything looks fine.

Want to learn from everyone'e experience and some tips to improve gas mileage.

vanshaj, the cruising limit indicator is not an actual limit. it is an estimate according to your driving habit of that tank of gas you used. The estimated MPG and cruising limit is completely inaccurate. To find your actual gas mileage, use your trip computer A and B. Set one of them to zero right after you fill up your tank, pressing down on the trip button will reset it. Then drive around and when you fill up again, use this equation.

(Total miles driven with the tank of gas) / (total amount of gas you just put in) = your MPG for that tank of gas

Example, I have a 2005 RX 330 and i drove 260 miles before i filled up. When i filled up at the gas station it took about 14.5 gallons. This means i drove 260 miles with 14.5 gallons. so the equation is (260 miles)/(14.5 gallons) = 17.93 MPG. My MPG was low because it was 90% city driving and 10% highway.

I hope my explanation helped. Again the cruising limit is just an estimate based on your driving habit during that tank of gas.

• 1 month later...

vanshaj, the cruising limit indicator is not an actual limit. it is an estimate according to your driving habit of that tank of gas you used. The estimated MPG and cruising limit is completely inaccurate. To find your actual gas mileage, use your trip computer A and B. Set one of them to zero right after you fill up your tank, pressing down on the trip button will reset it. Then drive around and when you fill up again, use this equation.

(Total miles driven with the tank of gas) / (total amount of gas you just put in) = your MPG for that tank of gas

Example, I have a 2005 RX 330 and i drove 260 miles before i filled up. When i filled up at the gas station it took about 14.5 gallons. This means i drove 260 miles with 14.5 gallons. so the equation is (260 miles)/(14.5 gallons) = 17.93 MPG. My MPG was low because it was 90% city driving and 10% highway.

I hope my explanation helped. Again the cruising limit is just an estimate based on your driving habit during that tank of gas.

Your shift gear may have set to 4. Try setting it to D.