Auto-positioning Tilt Wheel

The gears in the tilt wheel of my '95 GS 300 are starting to slip. The tilt still works fine, but that expensive sounding grind I hear every time I insert the ignition key concerns me. It would last a lot longer without the auto-positioning.

Is there any way to disable the auto-positioning tilt without diabling the manual adjustment? I'm sure it's a long shot, but any ideas or suggestions on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

The gears in the tilt wheel of my '95 GS 300 are starting to slip. The tilt still works fine, but that expensive sounding grind I hear every time I insert the ignition key concerns me. It would last a lot longer without the auto-positioning.

Is there any way to disable the auto-positioning tilt without diabling the manual adjustment? I'm sure it's a long shot, but any ideas or suggestions on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

what's up. just adjust the steering wheel where you feel comfortable at and then turn off the auto adjust. you should be fine after that.

That's the question. How do you turn the "auto-tilt away" off? The owner's manual only describes what this feature is. There's no mention that you can turn it on or off and I don't find any obvious switch to do it.

okay, to turn it off, once you open the driver door to your car, immediately look at your steering collumn. you'll see the joy stick to adjust the height and depth of the steering wheel. well behind it is a square button. push it and it will disable your tilt away. after that, then you can manualy adjust without it moving when you stick your key in. good luck. if you need more assistance, post up another thing on here and i'll send pics.

TwinTurbo619, thanks for trying to help me out. Here's a picture of my steering column near the tilt wheel joystick. I don't see a square button that turns off the auto-tiltaway. If you have any further thoughts, let me know. Thanks.

post-1-1076283181.jpg

Mine is just in front of the joystick! I don't see anything on yours! Does the joystick push in are there any other small switches on thye column! I gues someone could have taken it out, but why? :o

I believe that you have to take it to the dealer (or someone else with the $5000 OBD-II unit and complete software). They can tell the computer to not move the wheel for ya. ;)

TwinTurbo619, thanks for trying to help me out. Here's a picture of my steering column near the tilt wheel joystick. I don't see a square button that turns off the auto-tiltaway. If you have any further thoughts, let me know. Thanks.

hey man, sorry to say but you don't have that button on your steering collumn. that's a first. yeah, on mine, there is a button that reads "auto" where you can push it and it will turn into manual mode. as another member suggested, try pushing in the joy stick, maybe that will do the trick. good luck.