Thule Cargo Box For Lexus 450H

I have called Lexus to ask about the ramifications to the GPS signal of having the fixed rear roof antenna covered by a Thule cargo box and the response I received did not make me feel that they truly knew the correct answer. Does anyone know the definitive answer either theoretically or by experience? I don't want to spend the money on the whole setup if I can't get a good GPS signal to the car because I will be using the cargo box for long trips and having the GPS would be of great benefit. I would appreciate any input any of you can give me. Thank you very much in advance.

Try doing a test. Get a garbage can or something made from a similar material and put it on the roof over the antenna. Then see if the nav signal is still OK.

My educated guess is that it won't be a problem... it all depends on what the material is and how close to the antenna it is.

Of course that is excellent advice but it is hard to mimic the box with its contents, etc. I am sure it would work with the plastic bag because the antenna itself is encased in plastic. Was hoping for the easy way out by finding someone who had prior experience with it. But I will try to duplicate the conditions if necessary. Thanks for your reply.

GPS signals are coming from at least nine satellites from all directions so I think it is unlikely that you will notice any signal loss. I've gotten strong signals on GPS devices in covered parking garages -- your cargo box is a tinker toy in comparison.

I wouldn't in my wildest dreams put a cargo box on top of any SUV -- even one as relatively low and car-like as your RX. Besides raising the center of gravity, you will be dealing with a LOT of unpleasant wind noise and buffeting from winds. Maybe a hitch mounted cargo box ... or maybe a larger vehicle like a minivan.

GPS signals are coming from at least nine satellites from all directions so I think it is unlikely that you will notice any signal loss. I've gotten strong signals on GPS devices in covered parking garages -- your cargo box is a tinker toy in comparison.

I wouldn't in my wildest dreams put a cargo box on top of any SUV -- even one as relatively low and car-like as your RX. Besides raising the center of gravity, you will be dealing with a LOT of unpleasant wind noise and buffeting from winds. Maybe a hitch mounted cargo box ... or maybe a larger vehicle like a minivan.

Not to be picky, but... I don't think it is realistic to change to a mini van because once in a blue moon, you may need to carry a bit more cargo than you have space for inside. The rack on the roof is there for a reason. Yes, the Thule box may be a bit windy, but so is a mini van. The hitch box may be a good option, but it has drawbacks as well. What if you have a bike carrier on the back? Also, that box may become the bumper in a fender bender.

Just for the sake of argument...

The cargo box and any contents are unlikely to interfer with GPS signal since they should all be non-metalic, non-conducting materials. The box is plasitc and you should not be loading heavy stuff up there, only sleeping bags and such.

I have a box that mounts on the roof of my 400h, and I've used it on GPS trips without issue.

also my understanding is that on the 2006 400h, there are at least four antennas involved in the gps system used on our vehicle. not sure if that has changed on the newer models.

Been there done that. No issue in regards to the GPS. In regards to it being more noisy on the roof of an RX compared to that of a minivan. I don't get it, fair enough the wind makes a bit of noise, but why would that be any different if its on the roof of a van vs. an RX. And even IF it did, I wouldn't go trade my Lexus in for a caravan, for these 4 times out of the year... That was some steller advice - LOL.

Can anyone advice whether there is a reasonably-sized Thule or Yakima cargo box (for skis up to

190 cm at least) that would fit on the roof of an RX 450h with the factory-installed crossbars?

Over in Europe a box (apparently tailor-made by Thule) is sold as a Lexus accessory, but that

isn't available in the US. The only option I know of so far is the Packline P90S/Aerosport SL35,

which fits and takes skis up to 185 cm.

Thanks for info on which boxes you've been able to fit.