Oil Leah

hi everyone i am new to this forum i have a 1998 lexus gs 300 i have an oil leak coming from the timing cover i replaced all seals except the oil pump seal but i still have a leak but when i opened the timing cover i noticed it was up high and dripping down could it be the vvti cam that is leaking oil? i just want to get a second opinion before i change it thanks

hi everyone i am new to this forum i have a 1998 lexus gs 300 i have an oil leak coming from the timing cover i replaced all seals except the oil pump seal but i still have a leak but when i opened the timing cover i noticed it was up high and dripping down could it be the vvti cam that is leaking oil? i just want to get a second opinion before i change it thanks

I just had a pre-sales inspection performed on a 2001 GS300. Among a few other things, they indicated both cam bearing seals were leaking oil and needed to be replaced. Sounds like you may be in the same boat.

It could be one of the cam pullies, or both. its posible that the old seal got to dry and made a groove inside the pully where the seal touches. i have 144k on my 98 gs3, and had the same issue, replaced all seals 2times until realizing this. i had to replace the vvti pully.

when you do have it open and pully off check that area where seal makes contact on the pully, it should be 100% smooth.

i think this is dew to high miles between oil change, or bad oil was used in the engine

Good luck