Chipped/broken Security Lug Nut

bplaney

My locking lug nut broke while I was struggling to remove it. Just a chip off the face that snipped off a tiny portion of the pattern. I resumed trying to loosen it, and it seems to make grinding noises that suggest the nut will completely break.

I attempted to loosen this nut first, so the remaining four are still tight. The car is in my carport; I was starting the process of replacing the lower ball joints.

Should I stop here and drive it to a dealer and let them remove it? I don't want to put another security nut in its place (that would mean replacing all four), so I will buy a stock nut and go without the security on this wheel… I have boring factory wheels anyway.

Is it risky to drive the three miles to the dealer if this nut is compromised?

My locking lug nut broke while I was struggling to remove it. Just a chip off the face that snipped off a tiny portion of the pattern. I resumed trying to loosen it, and it seems to make grinding noises that suggest the nut will completely break.

I attempted to loosen this nut first, so the remaining four are still tight. The car is in my carport; I was starting the process of replacing the lower ball joints.

Should I stop here and drive it to a dealer and let them remove it? I don't want to put another security nut in its place (that would mean replacing all four), so I will buy a stock nut and go without the security on this wheel… I have boring factory wheels anyway.

Is it risky to drive the three miles to the dealer if this nut is compromised?

If I understand your statement correctly, all five nuts are still in place and tight except that the security nut is chipped. If that's the case, then it will be completely safe to drive the vehicle the three miles to the dealer. If it makes you nervous, just drive slow.

Before you take it to the dealer,try and wedge a long shocket over it and see if you spin the wheel lock off.

What size socket?

I already went to the dealer - and I backed out of their service driveway when I was told they would charge me $30 just to take the nut off. Maybe I should just hit it with a hammer and split it into pieces? or could that damage the lug?

Agreed. Any tire/wheel place has removal sockets that are designed to cut into and grip the wheel lock. You can also just buy an impact socket a bit smaller (21mm probably), hammer it on, then ratchet it off. Anything to grip the wheel lock works fine. Trying to actually break it apart though will be impossible without damaging the wheel too.