Steering Loose

Jairo

I just bought a LS 400 1991, the steering when driving is funny ,like there is a losse space,I have to turn 1/4 steering before the car actualy turns,can someone give me a idea what this could be?

And how many miles would you have on this 1991 LS400? By the time I finally sold my 90 LS400 in 2003 at 183,000+ miles, just about every normally replaceable front end suspension component had been replaced.

Loose steering is a sign the former owner drove the car hard, especially around corners, hence there is severe wear (including possible bent parts) in the steering linkage that would cost more than the car is worth to fix.

The steering on my '90 with 111,000 miles is still tight because both me and the former owner are middle aged and our testosterone levels don't make us drive 2 Fast and 2 Furious anymore.

My 1990 LS has a little over 180,000 miles and has all of the original suspension components with the exception of the right upper control arm which I had replace a few months ago. The car still drives and steers perfectly at all speeds. I haven't had it much over a buck lately but even there it is still perfect.

People who drive into driveways and streets where the suspension is twisted can expect to put a large extra strain on these parts so the area and way the car has been driven has a lot to do with how long these parts last.

A quarter turn of the wheel before response occurs is SERIOUSLY loose. The car should not be driven. Have it towed to an alignment shop and get ready to spend money.

It's not important why the steering became loose - it's only important that it is, and it needs to be fixed. Some damage has probably occurred and a trained tech is needed to put it right.

If you do drive it again, take it straight to the shop.

I just bought a LS 400 1991, the steering when driving is funny ,like there is a losse space,I have to turn 1/4 steering before the car actualy turns,can someone give me a idea what this could be?

Ditto the reply that said this is SERIOUS. Call an Authorized Lexus Dealer, explain, and they might even send a tow truck to pickup your car. My Oxnard Dealer has Courtesy Cars and Drivers that come to San Luis Obispo (130 miles, 2 Hours) for FREE. Pay for a complete inspection of your new cars steering and whole car. Dont mess with Independent Mechanics for this inspection.

New Guy Tip: Go to Lexus.com and Register your VIN as the new owner. It's FREE. Then you can view all the past repairs on your car by Authorized Lexus Dealers.

Mine started doing the exact same thing three years ago at 150,000. Needed to replace rack and pinion assembly (which included all the ball joints) and power steering valve. Local Lexus repair shop did whole job including alignment parts and labor $1200. It got to be too unsafe to drive. Now at 190,000 and steering is very good.