Drivers Seat

sgretchko

After 180k the drivers seat on my '97 LS is showing signs of wear. The leather cover is fine, but the cushions and underlying springs seem to have lost their ability to provide comfort. The bottom side bolsters have lost their firmness and the bottom is beginning to take on a "bucket" shape. The seat back is better but still needs some work. So the question is what to do about it.

A local auto trim shop will "rebuild" it by tying the springs and replacing parts of the cushion. In addition, if OEM bottom cushions are available (Lexus of Pembroke Pines says they are) for about $125 , they will replace the bottom cushion. The shop will charge about $125 to $150 and says it can be done in a day. It all seem reasonable.

It should be a common problem and I was curious to see how others solved it. Thank you in advance.

That's an awesome price. I looked at just recovering my rear seat to match my fronts (out of an IS300) and got quotes starting at $900. If they're going to disassemble and rebuild the lower portion for less than $200 I'd get on it.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 1991, the bottoms were hard and worn out.. Leather still good shape.. I just went to the junkyard, found a late 80's lincoln continental, the smaller lincoln... THe seat color matched my grey leather perfectly, then I kept the back part of the lexus seat and just replaced the bottoms... Soo much more comfortable.. Support in the back, cushiness on the bottom, the ultimate seat...

Had to take seats out, and take off the plastic trim, the switches, but then recovered with the other seat bottoms, then hogsringed and snap tied the seat covers to the original lexus mounting locations, put the trim and switch covers back on, looks pretty factory, other than the different leather pattern.. But much more bolster in the lincoln seats..

I don't think Lexus has ever been known for seats. My 90 LS are still pretty good but flat as described about. My 04 ES are like new but still not all that comfortable compared to something like a Saab.