Cigarette 12/v Power Outlet Stopped Working -- Fuse/replace/remove?

mwe

I have a 1996 es300.

I was running a hair drier through a AC/DC power converter...weird and unadvised I know...but I was working on my motorcycle outside and I needed to make some rubber fittings pliable...in any event, very quickly, the hair drier started to die a slow death...

I have power to the radio and the rest of the dash/mirrors etc...I still checked the fuse but the fuse is solid.

the cigarette socket on my 4runner had a similar issue and I learned that the socket itself has a fuse built into the bottom of the socket (solid fuse??...there is a wire that acts as a fuse and gives way if the circut becomes over loaded??) ...my guess is that the socket on the es300 is similar and I believe this is common to cigarette sockets...in any event i just pulled the dash trim off and replaced the socket and it works fine now...I would like to do the same unless anyone can better diagnose the problem.

how do I remove the door/tray from the dash to access the socket...or how do i just remove the socket.

I read over some of the posts here but i could not get a specific answer...

I just went out an unscrewed the 3 screws holding on the burl trim to the push door on the ashtray compartment and pulled it free but that is just the trim...how do I get the whole thing out??

I could use some help asap...

No I don't smoke but I need the dash power to work!!

ok...no responses..

I pulled out the dash this morning oh boy... so now I have the whole cupholder/ashtray assembly in my lap....how do I remove the cigarette socket

thanks

mwe

still no response...so i guess i will fill in with my experience

checked that I had power to the wires...good...so I have narrowed down the problem to the socket as expected (my guess it is the fused link that went.

I removed the whole cupholder/ashtray compartment as previously stated

then I separated the cupholder assembly from the unit...4 screws on the side.

i then had better access to the cigarette socket...this part was awkward but with a little force the whole unit popped out through the top (including the black ring holder.

so now i have to call lexus and order a new socket. I hope this comes with the wires attached as I have no desire to solder ...but my guess is that is not going ot happen.

I hope this helps someone out there.

still no response...so i guess i will fill in with my experience

checked that I had power to the wires...good...so I have narrowed down the problem to the socket as expected (my guess it is the fused link that went.

I removed the whole cupholder/ashtray compartment as previously stated

then I separated the cupholder assembly from the unit...4 screws on the side.

i then had better access to the cigarette socket...this part was awkward but with a little force the whole unit popped out through the top (including the black ring holder.

so now i have to call lexus and order a new socket. I hope this comes with the wires attached as I have no desire to solder ...but my guess is that is not going ot happen.

I hope this helps someone out there.

I had that issue myself I had two that went out. The wires came up fine just the socket itself so yea i guessed the fuse that's attached to the socket. since i had two i took the old one and cut off the connector piece that connects to the car and I went to autozone and found a socket for cheap and I didn't solder i just used the twist tie cone things. and I made the cable longer and extended it out. because the location of the socket can be a pain when you're trying to charge something and hold cups.