Alternator Purchase

mls

I need to purchase an alternator for my 95 LS400. Any suggestions on brands and where to get it from.

Why not have your existing alternator rebuilt by a reputable auto electric shop. Remove yourself & take it in...

Much cheaper & you retain yourself OEM alternator....

I need to purchase an alternator for my 95 LS400. Any suggestions on brands and where to get it from.

Why not have your existing alternator rebuilt by a reputable auto electric shop. Remove yourself & take it in...

Much cheaper & you retain yourself OEM alternator....

Auto electric shop said it was not practical to rebuild.

Must be a lame shop. My local rebuilder does every type of alternator, starter, or generator, import stuff rarely runs more than $80-90 for anything. They did my LS starter for $70, and I used to send core units to them when I was selling parts to just clean up and make them look new for $30 each. Any competent place can handle it, sounds like those guys are just lazy or inexperienced.

If you want an alternator that will last 150,000+ miles, your best bet is to get a genuine Toyota remanufactured alternator that has the same part number as your existing alternator from a discount Lexus dealer like http://www.mylexparts.com/

If you want an alternator that will last 75,000 miles you can get rebuilts from Autozone for about $120.00

If your existing alternator has less than 150,000 miles and still spins smoothly without bearing noise, it probably only needs a new genuine Toyota brush holder assembly installed (about a $25 part from a discount Lexus dealer). However, this assumes your alternator did not fail because power steering fluid dripped on it, shorting it out.

Any auto electric shop that doesnt want to rebuild an alternator is definitely lame....must not need the business I guess...that is lame....

My shop charged $130 to rebuild, a little pricey but I still have my Toyota OEM alternator...not some Autozone piece of junk.....

RDM, 80-90 is a great proce for the rebuild....