Engine Fan Noise

dublin5

In recent months my '08 GX 470 engine sounds very loud on startup - like all the fans are on. This only happens if it has been sitting overnight or longer than 5 hours. Outside temps aren't a factor since it sits in a heated garage. I took it to the dealership, they checked it out when the engine was cold and noted the "excessive engine noise" was a normal condition. No way. I've been driving it for well over a year and this is new. Someone has suggested it is the fan clutch acting up. I want to get this resolved. Has anyone else had this problem?

In recent months my '08 GX 470 engine sounds very loud on startup - like all the fans are on. This only happens if it has been sitting overnight or longer than 5 hours. Outside temps aren't a factor since it sits in a heated garage. I took it to the dealership, they checked it out when the engine was cold and noted the "excessive engine noise" was a normal condition. No way. I've been driving it for well over a year and this is new. Someone has suggested it is the fan clutch acting up. I want to get this resolved. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mine does the same thing. It is just louder when in the garage. I was told it was normal by my dealer.

YEs this is normal on a cold start, but once you get warmed up, the GX V8s do have this bit higher on sound frequency. if you can post an audio file, maybe i can give some insight to it. The one thing is Fan bearing noise will get louder as days goes by and the sound amplitude sometimes is unbearable. This is beacause the ball bearing due to loss of grease and oil within, gets to grind against each other. I hope that is not so in your case.