What Is A "paint Restorer"?!

Hi, I am planning to do my first hand clay/wax/paint care job!

I bought some new stuff and found some old stuff my dad uses.

One of them is a Diamond-Kote GOLD brand "Paint Restorer"

What exactly is this and what does it do?

I can't find anything about it on Google or their manufacturer website, it's probably a discontinued product.

On the label it says:

"This product is to be used to restore automotive paint finishes. Fortified with D-K 539 UV Sunscreen. With new improved surface adhesion agent."

^ I guess this is obvious what it does, but my main concern is when should I apply it (before or after clay? before or after Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax?)

Here is a picture to show what the product looks like:

IMG_3064.jpg

Looks like some type of sealer or wax.

You clean the car, clay to remove contaminates on the surface, compound/polish scratches, clean again, glaze, and wax...

My suggestion is this.

wash the car with your regular car wash soap and do a very through job.

clean the wheels and tries, use Wesleys on the tires.

mix up a fresh batch of car wash soap and get the car real wet.

then take one of those fuzzy mitts that you can actually grab through and take the clay bar in it.

Using the soapy water and keeping the roof wet, rub the clay over the surface until you feel nothing but smoothness. Rinse well. Then, do the whole car the whole way AND be VERY careful not to drop the clay. If you do, throw it out.

Next step, take your CWB (California Water Blade) and swipe the car dry. Take your leaf blower and blow it dry.

At this point go over the entire car with detailing spray (like Maguire's or Mother's) using a microfibre towel.

Now, take a look at the paint, is it smooth and glassy? if so you are ready to wax. If not you have the long process of going over the whole car with Maguire's #1 Paint Cleaner and it takes awhile. If you are so inspired, a good idea is to then go over the entire car with Maguire's #2 Polish which really shines up the paint. Remember you want the paint to shine before you wax it because wax in itself only amplifies what is there.

I have used probably ever car wax ever made and for the past 10 years I have used only one. Collinite's #845 Insulator Wax. I heat it in a bucket of water until is is very liquid and then shake it for a long time. I apply and couple coats and I am good for a year. You can use any wax you like but I promise that if you ever try this, you will never go back to anything else. It's hard to find so I drive to the factory and buy it.

For regular use I use Maguir'e Quik Wax which doesn't seem to harm the 845.

Yes it is. I was introduced to Collinite years ago at a car show. The stuff is just fantastic. If you happen to be at the Syracuse Nationals Classic Car show at the NYS Fairground in mid-July, stop by and see me at the Parent's Plus booth. Mike Collins, Collinite President, usually gives us samples of #845 to distribute.

• 4 weeks later...