Iphone Audio Bluetooth Connectivity Issues

I've been googling but I just can't seem to find an answer to my problem...

I recently bought a 2010 RX 350 with navi. The salesman at the dealership was able to hook my original iphone up via bluetooth really easily, contacts transferred with no problems. Today I decided to try and hook up the audio portion and I just can't do it! First, if it's set up to recognize my phone, it won't even give me an option to input a passcode when I attempt to hook up the bluetooth audio. So I figured I'd just erase the phone and then add it back after the audio. When I do this, it will allow me to put in the passcode, the phone will say it's connected to Car Multimedia, but the message will come up saying that the connection failed and to check the passcode. I've tried changing the passcode but it doesn't change it when it comes time to connect the player. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, especially since the phone seems to take the bluetooth but the car then drops it.

Does anyone have any advice? Again, I have an original iphone, not a 3G or 3GS. I haven't tried updating the software yet, maybe that should be my next step.