Check Vsc Light

Hello,

Today I had the Check VSC light come on form my 2006 IS250 so I took the dealer. The service consultant told me that it was diagnosed, but the machine basically tasked it to stop or something like that. Since Lexus wasn't available to be contacted on the weekend, he told me it would have to be diagnosed on Monday. Regardless, the reasoning that was given was the car was "running too rich". Now, he really couldn't explain that too me, which is disconcerting because one of the reasons I bought Lexus was because it's supposed to be the most reliable car in the industry, and I've already had a engine misfiring issue and valve problem fixed under warranty. He said that "running too rich" typically happens when a change of gas type is being fed into the car which seemed a little strange to me. However, I've always used 93 octane so that couldn't have been the source of the problem. Does anyone know what this actually means?

Thanks.

Gosh, there have been a lot of questions lately about a "VSC Off" or "Check VSC" warning.

The Check VSC warning means nothing -- VSC shuts off due to any of a plethora of causes with most having nothing to do with VSC. Maybe the purpose of of the VSC warnings is to our attention. I've had the VSC warning on my LS probably four or five times including when the car was still under it's basic warranty and not once was there a problem with VSC.

One of the oddest causes of VSC warnings on more recently Lexus vehicles has been from a loose gas cap or defective gas cap gasket. Go figure.

It sound's like your "service consultant" is BS-ing you. They certainly don't need to call Lexus corporate to diagnose a problem like this. It's more likely the Lexus dealer had a busy day, bigger fish to fry and/or just wanted to put you off until Monday.

By the way, service consultants are not mechanics. They are sales people who are there mainly to sell services. I've never found Lexus dealer service consultants to be particularly knowledgable about their cars or cars in general.

Hey

Gosh, there have been a lot of questions lately about a "VSC Off" or "Check VSC" warning.

The Check VSC warning means nothing -- VSC shuts off due to any of a plethora of causes with most having nothing to do with VSC. Maybe the purpose of of the VSC warnings is to our attention. I've had the VSC warning on my LS probably four or five times including when the car was still under it's basic warranty and not once was there a problem with VSC.

One of the oddest causes of VSC warnings on more recently Lexus vehicles has been from a loose gas cap or defective gas cap gasket. Go figure.

It sound's like your "service consultant" is BS-ing you. They certainly don't need to call Lexus corporate to diagnose a problem like this. It's more likely the Lexus dealer had a busy day, bigger fish to fry and/or just wanted to put you off until Monday.

By the way, service consultants are not mechanics. They are sales people who are there mainly to sell services. I've never found Lexus dealer service consultants to be particularly knowledgable about their cars or cars in general.

I had this problem with my 2006 IS 250 back in Oct/Nov time. The check VSC and check engine light came on. I also started noticing that the engine felt like it would shudder (almost like it wanted to cut out) when I would come to a stop. That was happening very intermittently but with more frequency at the time I saw the warning lights go on.

The service rep BS'd me at that time! He said nothing was wrong, told me to pick up my vehicle and they would send "a report to corporate". It took them 2-3 weeks to get back to me and inform me that all the engine valves needed to be replaced. I was peeved because he told me initially there was no problem - and I had to work with a different rep to find out that this was a problem they were noting in "a few 2006" models.

So now, 6 months later, guess what? My engine is starting to do that shudder-thing again. I'm taking it in on Monday to have it looked at. I'm not happy though that now I'm outside of my warranty period. So we'll have to see what they say.

Just curious if other IS 250 owners have had this same issue??

Good luck with yours!

I had this problem with my 2006 IS 250 back in Oct/Nov time. The check VSC and check engine light came on. I also started noticing that the engine felt like it would shudder (almost like it wanted to cut out) when I would come to a stop. That was happening very intermittently but with more frequency at the time I saw the warning lights go on.

The service rep BS'd me at that time! He said nothing was wrong, told me to pick up my vehicle and they would send "a report to corporate". It took them 2-3 weeks to get back to me and inform me that all the engine valves needed to be replaced. I was peeved because he told me initially there was no problem - and I had to work with a different rep to find out that this was a problem they were noting in "a few 2006" models.

So now, 6 months later, guess what? My engine is starting to do that shudder-thing again. I'm taking it in on Monday to have it looked at. I'm not happy though that now I'm outside of my warranty period. So we'll have to see what they say.

Just curious if other IS 250 owners have had this same issue??

Good luck with yours!

Interesting. I also had some sort of manufacturer related issue, where I noticed this type of shuddering, and the sales rep originally told me it was the ethanol in the gas build up that was causing soot on the valves and they wanted to charge me like 250+ for an engine flush. I was like no thanks because I had already done my 30K major service there and it seemed like they were trying to milk me for some more money. I then called corporate Lexus and complained like hell to them. Next thing I know, I received a call from the same service people and they told me their was some sort of manufacturing issue with the valves that was covered under warranty that they would replace. At that time I believe one of the engine lights had come on as well, maybe even the same "Check VSC" light, but I can't be certain because it was a while ago. I asked the consultant if this was going to fix the problem and whether it could reappear in the future, and he assured me that it wouldn't.

Now, my warranty period just ran out just a few weeks ago, and I find it rather convenient than the "Check VSC" light had come on once again. The time is so convenient, it's almost as if it was "programmed" to come on less than a few thousand miles after the 40K warranty period ended. If the service people tell me some BS again about some valve issue or something else that is going to cost me a bunch of money, I'm going to be really *BLEEP*ed. I bought a Lexus because of its supposed best in its class "reliability" and already I've had manufacturer replaced parts and four recalls conducted on the vehicle.

Now, my warranty period just ran out just a few weeks ago, and I find it rather convenient than the "Check VSC" light had come on once again. The time is so convenient, it's almost as if it was "programmed" to come on less than a few thousand miles after the 40K warranty period ended.

Your basic warranty is 50,000 miles or four years from your car's inservice date. The powertrain warranty is 70,000 miles or 6 years.

The engine portion of the powertrain warranty covers "Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets"

So, if yours is a valve problem, it should be covered under the longer powertrain warranty.

Now, my warranty period just ran out just a few weeks ago, and I find it rather convenient than the "Check VSC" light had come on once again. The time is so convenient, it's almost as if it was "programmed" to come on less than a few thousand miles after the 40K warranty period ended.

Your basic warranty is 50,000 miles or four years from your car's inservice date. The powertrain warranty is 70,000 miles or 6 years.

The engine portion of the powertrain warranty covers "Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets"

So, if yours is a valve problem, it should be covered under the longer powertrain warranty.

Sorry. I meant after the four year warranty period ended.

Regardless, even if it is another engine problem that is covered under warranty, I am quite disappointed that my first Lexus seems to have resulted in this many issues.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dang I am glad I looked here for this issue... I purchased a LEXUS for it known drivability, comfort and luxury performance...In short... Getting away from rumbling, all motor or supercharged rubber buring 500hp Mustangs... and I have owned my 06 IS250 for lil over 2 weeks... and Noticed this IMMEDIATELY!!! But thought to myself... Calm dowm... U r expecting to much and feeling and hearing things that are not there... "I am being to picky"...another words... well... NO! Its doing it DAILY! and even at starting the car I am hearing (in the past 2 days since my 1st oil change and service...Hmmmmmm...) some "Valve ticking" or ticking of some sort as soon as the car turns on and its fully powered under its own power...For the first 1 sec, I hear tic tic tic tic...Maybe 5-8 quick tics...Then it goes away and all is smooth... But this shuffle or bogging of the motor almost as if it loses power for 1 flat second does presently exist and has since day one I owned it...In the past 2 days I also rec'd a CHECK VSC light...called dealer and she said its the VEHICLE SLIDDING CONTROL...(TRACTION CONTROL is what normal people call it...LOL) She said next to the shifter there is a VSC button someone hit with a purse or accidently... Ummmmm IS250 doesn't have a VSC button near the shifter panel... I hung up and will be walking in tomorrow... :censored: The dealer I purchased this Lex from has a 30-60 day warranty and the LEXUS dealer covers this car under warranty in full! I bought this 06 IS250 Lex w/ ONLY.......drum roll.... 20k on the ODO... I will be dropping this car off at the LEXUS dealer this week and see how they squeel their way outta it... But at least I know what is already the BS they say and can be on my toes to reply.... :whistles:

after being here on this sight for approx 2weeks and reading all of these random issues here and there that seemed to be my 06 is250 is starting to have and random stages...(vsc check light, studder under gas or break, uneven head light adj, 1 sec valve ticking sound at start, small ticking sound under car continously...and more) Dropped my car off today...and in turn... They gave me a freaking HS250 Hybrid!!! :censored: :chairshot: But whatever......... Just fix my dang car!

• 3 weeks later...

I too have had similar engine problems as stated above...engine idle, VSC light, Check Engine Light coming on...my car is only 2 years old (2008 model)and has 33,000 miles on it...way too sudden to have these type of problems. It started about 2 months ago-I brought it in, they made me pay $200 or so for a fuel induction cleaning and told me to start using 'better quality gas'-not Tom Thumb gasoline -even though I only put in 93 Octane or Premium gasoline. A month later it happened again, this time they told me there were mis-fire codes and they did some top engine cleaning....so far it has been fine, but I still feel that 'idle' in my engine occasionally. Not as bad as it was before but still....luxury car engines shouldn't have these type of problems. :wacko:

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I am trying to figure this out. I just purchased an 06 IS250, with about 64k on it. I have full warranty till 100k. The check VSC and engine light came on when I first got the car during a cold start in the morning. Took to dealer and they told me it was a misfire checked the plugs and said one of the plugs had something on it. They cleaned the plug and everything was good to go for about a week. I just went out today, again cold start and the lights came back on. So I guess I am going to drop it off at the dealer again. Will let everyone know what the out come will be.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, my VSC incident is a little different. i have IS250 rwd, 6 spd manual. i was parking on a church grass lot and spun the rear wheel(s) going up a slight incline. when i got back in the car the CHECK VSC warning was on, along with check engine, and the car symbol with the squiggly lines behind it.

the car is running fine. is there any way to reset the warning? or did spinning the wheels on the grass screw something up???

Hello, my VSC incident is a little different. i have IS250 rwd, 6 spd manual. i was parking on a church grass lot and spun the rear wheel(s) going up a slight incline. when i got back in the car the CHECK VSC warning was on, along with check engine, and the car symbol with the squiggly lines behind it.

the car is running fine. is there any way to reset the warning? or did spinning the wheels on the grass screw something up???

I would just disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and reconnect it, see if it clears. You may have to reinitialize all your NAV and power windows after,...individually.

• 2 weeks later...

This light came on the other day, on my 2006 GS300. I am glad I checked this site and it seems there is nothing to do. I now have two annoying messages which will not go away. The other is "Low Tire Pressure". After checking this one out with the dealer, I was told it comes on because I do not have sensors on my snow tire rims. My summer tire rims do. There is no way i am going to fork out $300 to get the sensors, just to get rid of the warning. Annoying, but there you are.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

My IS 250 just had the same issue as described above. And, same Sales BS to me about leaving the car to check it out. Guess what, it will cost me $200 just to get it looked at. Anyone can tell me what # for Lexus corporate I should call to leave a notation?

My IS 250 just had the same issue as described above. And, same Sales BS to me about leaving the car to check it out. Guess what, it will cost me $200 just to get it looked at. Anyone can tell me what # for Lexus corporate I should call to leave a notation?

So what was the diagnosis after the service visit, was it was fixed or did they have to order the part?

btw, I paid about $165 to have mine fixed.

• 3 months later...

Today, I went up a slight incline to get on the highway, but decided it was better to back up and go to the nearest intersection.

As I backed the car up, it started jerking like "Thump-thump-thump".

Then the whole spill of VSC lights came on ... all three, plus the light picture.

Where am I going with this?

I just took the SUV in July 2nd weekend, when I was prepared to leave from San Antonio, Texas to S.Carolina.

We had already paid almost $5,000 for the 90k maintenance, July 2011.

All the hoopla's Lexus offers at their Service department while you enjoy some peanut M&M's and a sloppy starbucks coffee.

Then we just paid: $3,800 in July 2012 when the VSC lights came on and they told us we had to replace the "Valves AND the Pump" .. with labor, was $3,800.

So, it's Saturday, September 1st and the damn VSC lights came on again as I was backing up to enter the intersection.

FFS! I just paid 4k to have the damn parts replaced.

This is a 2005 SUV, (Paid for, lol) and I've put about another 12k worth of upkeep in the damn thing.

So, it's Labor day weekend and I call and EVERYTHING is closed till Tuesday, 4 September and they aren't taking any appointments.

I a mom with two little kids and I don't want to be stranded anywhere .. there goes the weekend!

If Lexus was open, I could at least get a last minute Toyota, some M&M peanuts and a sloppy starbucks, while they did their little 'unplug the battery' and charge her $900 for it!

What's next?

~Charly

Mom in TX :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this forum!! Just had the very same issue with 2006 IS 250 where engine started shuddering followed by VSE, CEL and TRC light on. Shuddering engine happens from time to time, without turning out VSE/CEL/TRC light until today, a raining day.

The service rep seemed to already know the existing problem, of course she did not tell me, and asked me to do diagnosis first for $200, then milk for more since my car is out of warranty,

What's the solution here from previous posts? Reset the lights and keep driving?