Engine Loud

PlanGK

Could mean something has broken or come loose? You didn't describe the nature of the sound.

Attached is a photo of an automotive stethoscope -- great for finding the source of noises ... about $4.00.

post-2157-127210971689_thumb.jpg

I have the same problem with my 1993--136k miles. In my car it is a cracked rear exhaust manifold. I have come to learn that it is very expensive to repair (8-9 hrs labor) since the rear side is very difficult to get to.

I am perplexed because it otherwise runs fine as a car for my teeanage son, but I really hoped that I could get many more miles. It likely not worth the $1000-1200 to spend at this juncture of car's life.

Any thoughts?

Its all relative. Can the car be replaced with something as reliable and safe for your son as it is for $1200? Does it really HAVE to cost $1200? Where did you get that estimate?

I didn't see anything cracked under the car but I did notice some pretty consistent smoking behind the engine, under the intake manifold. Another thing is that on a few occasions the first start up in the morning, the engine would start but would slowly turn over, like the idle rpm would be really low and slowly go up. . I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am in the process of replacing the starter contacts, because the starter would click when I turned the key. Would a bad starter cause a start up like that?