Transmission Fluid

Ok Heres my solution, 1999 Rx 300 with 151K I did my transmission fluid change, Transfer case and installed a new filter, job easy. 4 1/2 qts came out. Put when I was refilling at 3 qts it was above the cold line???? Started the car and went though the gears, check it, drove the car about 10 mins, check it again, move up alittle not much. So here my $1000.00 question, should I repalce the 4.5 qts that came out????? Thanks :unsure:

I would drive it or at least 20 minutes to make sure the fluid has reached normal operating temperature, park on a level surface and check again per manual instructions. It it was still showing full or above I would check with a transmission shop. If 4 1/2 came out then 4 1/2 should be put back.

I would drive it or at least 20 minutes to make sure the fluid has reached normal operating temperature, park on a level surface and check again per manual instructions. It it was still showing full or above I would check with a transmission shop. If 4 1/2 came out then 4 1/2 should be put back.

Thanks Barry, that was my thought also.

At the risk of asking the obvious question, you are checking the ATF level with the motor running, aren't you?? Otherwise, I'm having a problem with a missing 1.5 quarts but if it shows full with the system up to operating temperature and the engine running, it's full.

At the risk of asking the obvious question, you are checking the ATF level with the motor running, aren't you?? Otherwise, I'm having a problem with a missing 1.5 quarts but if it shows full with the system up to operating temperature and the engine running, it's full.

Yep, checking witth the engine up and running. I dont totally understand 3 to 3 1/4 out of the drain, when I pull the pan it had around 1/4 more and filter 1/4 to 1/2 qt ,more and the transfer case around 1 qt. I'll drive it for a little more and check it again

Yep, checking witth the engine up and running. I dont totally understand 3 to 3 1/4 out of the drain, when I pull the pan it had around 1/4 more and filter 1/4 to 1/2 qt ,more and the transfer case around 1 qt. I'll drive it for a little more and check it again