Problem With Rear Power Windows

ybittu

Hi,

I have an issue with my rear windows on a recently bought lexus. On driver side the rear window will not operate at all. On the passenger side window operates but slides down about an inch after it is closed.

Any thoughts on the problem? Do I need to replace motor and regulator to correct the problem? What is the cost of repairs?

thank you for your inputs.

YBittu

The inoperative window could be just a dirty switch. Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner spray into the switch on the driver's door and cycle the switch several times. You may have to remove the switch from the door/arm rest in order to find an opening to shoot the spray in to. You may have to do this several times. Allow the fluid to evaporate before turning on the key to try the switch. If the rear door switch is the one you are referring to, try the same procedure there.

If that doesn't do the trick, next open the door and check the wiring harness that feeds the rear door (in the rubber gator near the hinges) for breaks in one or more of the wires. If that's a no go, you'll have to pull the rear door inside panel and the plastic weather shield to get at the wiring and motor. Check the wiring connector at the motor to see if its disconnected or needs cleaning. Powering the motor itself from a 12 volt source will tell you if its working or not.

The other rear window that drops down leaves you no option but to remove its inner door panel to see what's up. It could be a stripped gear on the motor or mechanism, a broken roller, or a bent channel that the glass rides in. You may even find a slide channel that has come loose.

If you need parts, going to a wrecker is the cheaper route, and you may find that the same year Camry parts will interchange. Good Luck!

Thank you for responses. I should be more clear in describing the problem.

1. Right window does not work using any switches, on the driver door or on the rear door. If one switch is dirty, would it not work from other switch?

2. Left window does not just slide down but you hear motor running it down as if someone has pressed the switch down. If you pull it in small incremental steps, it would stay there.

thanks again,

ybittu

For your rear driver's side window - I had a similar experience. See my reply to an earlier post for a fix: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48872&pid=315148&start=&st=#entry315148

I wasn't very clear in my procedure when I wrote that, but of course you want to sit inside the car so you can slam the door shut AND hold the window switch down at the same time. Don't do it from the driver's door, but rather do it from the door with the problem.

As far as your passenger side rear window coming back down after closing: it sounds like the mechanism for the auto-reverse safety feature is malfunctioning. The windows will automatically back down if it detects resistance (as if something were caught). I'm not sure of a fix for that... Perhaps the gear has slipped, causing the mechanism to think that the window seal is higher than it actually is. Try opening the window all the way without using the auto feature, then closing it without using the auto feature. Then try opening/closing completely with the auto feature.

Thank you for response.

You Said: "Try opening the window all the way without using the auto feature, then closing it without using the auto feature. Then try opening/closing completely with the auto feature. "

I am a new owner and did not understand that what do you mean by opening window without using the 'AUTO' feature. Please explain.

Thank you for your inputs. I slammed the door couple of time on the rear driver side the way you said but I understand it takes some tries to get it working. So I will keep trying it every time I sit in my car.

thanks again