A Case For Buying Your Lexus Made In Japan Only.

lex460

The gas pedal problems has to do with a company called CTS in the U.S.A, a nylon piece would swell and cause a sticking gas pedal. Now I read this, "According to Lyons, 1995-2004 Tacoma pickups and 2000-01 Tundras shared the same frame supplier: Toledo, Ohio-based Dana Holding Corporation. In investigating the Tacoma’s rust complaints, Toyota discovered that Dana hadn’t properly prepped Tacoma frames to resist corrosion before they were shipped to Toyota’s NUMMI manufacturing plant, where the Tacoma is assembled.

“Because of the Tacoma, we are taking a look at other vehicles of similar make and production elements. This includes the Tundra,” Lyons said. “[Dana] used the same rust treatment [for the Tacoma and Tundra] during manufacturing.”

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/04/toyota-investigating-tundra-pickups-with-rusty-frames.html

This is bad, as these trucks are basically junk now. Along with the previous Tundra ball joints and a few camshafts it's seems to be a good old all that matters the money USA problem.

I agree, however the issues with Toyota/Lexus and degredation of product quality doesn't only come from US based construction or parts. Your GS for instance G Man is built in Japan and I know you've had a lot of quality problems.

This general degredation in product quality is a real shame, what was once a rock solid brand synonomous with quality becomes tarnished as the company loses sight of what it once stood for. I don't think this is limited to cars either. The machine shop where I work has a number of Japanese machine tools, Mazak to be precise, who also have a name for high end, quality machines. However, we have had numerous problems of all kinds with the machines we have, one of which is made in the USA and the others in Japan, not something you expect from a product of this reputation and price bracket.

I agree that general product degradation is not limited to automobiles. My pet peeve right now is how much the typical residential lawnmower quality has degraded over the past 20 years as their prices have escalated. Too many plastic parts today that were metal in "the good old days", too many parts quickly affected by rough-and-tumble areas in my lawn that were never a problem for mowers built before the mid-80s, and practically all the mower manufacturers lying about their horsepower since 1994. In fact, there's a class-action suit right now on that last one (www.lawnmowerclass.com). Today's mowers don't last me more than 5 or 6 years before they're not worth repairing anymore. My previous mowers built in the 60s, 70s, and even into the 80s would last twice as long and cut twice as much grass as my current mowers do. Grrrrrr....

You see that in appliances too...used to be say a washing machine or dryer would be worth servicing and repairing...and they're not anymore. Construction quality isn't nearly as good and the parts are so expensive its not worth it.

This general degredation in product quality is a real shame, what was once a rock solid brand synonomous with quality becomes tarnished as the company loses sight of what it once stood for. I don't think this is limited to cars either. The machine shop where I work has a number of Japanese machine tools, Mazak to be precise, who also have a name for high end, quality machines. However, we have had numerous problems of all kinds with the machines we have, one of which is made in the USA and the others in Japan, not something you expect from a product of this reputation and price bracket.

Funny you mention that, my old machine shop had CNC machines for 15 years with few problems. Once they traded those in for new Mori Seiki CNC control machines, we had nothing but problems with them.