98 Es 300 P0330 Coded

I recently purchased a 98 ES300 from a friend. The car is great shape and runs spectacular. Before purchasing the 100,000 mile service was completed and all was good. Since, the car has 4,500 miles added and the CEL has come on. The code was P0330 indicating the knock sensor. There is no indication of sluggish power, overdrive shifts great and functioning properly, etc. etc. Is there a test for the knock sensors to make sure that there is a problem before tearing into the engine?

I'm no expert, and I don't have the answer for you, but I do have a thought

about what you might try. First off, the knock sensor shouldn't affect the

engine's performance if there is no engine knock situation present. You may

be getting the fault code because the computer can't find the knock sensor

on line.

I have frequently found that electrical problems are not the fault of the actual

part, but rather corrosion at the connector to the part. If you were to disconnect

the knock sensor wiring harness and clean up the contacts with electrical contact

cleaner (comes in a spray bomb with a 4 inch long spray tube, available at any auto

parts store)and reconnect the harness, you may find that it will fix your problem.

Be sure to do the cleaning with the engine off, and allow several minutes for the

cleaning fluid to evaporate before starting the engine.

Now to your second question ... where is the knock sensor located? On your model year

... I don't know. Hopefully someone will jump in with the answer for us both.

Good Luck!

I'm no expert, and I don't have the answer for you, but I do have a thought

about what you might try. First off, the knock sensor shouldn't affect the

engine's performance if there is no engine knock situation present. You may

be getting the fault code because the computer can't find the knock sensor

on line.

I have frequently found that electrical problems are not the fault of the actual

part, but rather corrosion at the connector to the part. If you were to disconnect

the knock sensor wiring harness and clean up the contacts with electrical contact

cleaner (comes in a spray bomb with a 4 inch long spray tube, available at any auto

parts store)and reconnect the harness, you may find that it will fix your problem.

Be sure to do the cleaning with the engine off, and allow several minutes for the

cleaning fluid to evaporate before starting the engine.

Now to your second question ... where is the knock sensor located? On your model year

... I don't know. Hopefully someone will jump in with the answer for us both.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. I know that the 98 has two knock sensors that are located on the block. They are both located under the manifold and it is very extensive and time consuming to remove upper engine parts just to get to both sensors. I have tried to locate the harness that goes to the sensors and am unsure were they connect to ECM. My thoughts were to try and do a continuity check or swap the connectors to see if a code would come back or maybe the harness was bad. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this type of check. I am trying to eliminate any other possibilities that underlining cause for code could be by product of some other issue I am unaware of.