Front Passenger Door Handle Will Not Open

DuaneG

My outside front passenger door handle will not open the door. But the door will open from the inside. What do I need to fix?

DuaneG

the first thing you need to do is remove the door panel, find out how here.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

then you will find a rod coming from the handle, down to the lock assembly, it SHOULD be held on with plastic clips (which damage easily)and one of them is probably broken, as you remove the panel, be praying that it is the upper clip that is broken, because if it is the lower, you will need another lock assembly, but most salvage yards can help you.

good luck

been there-done that

Thanks. I pulled the panel and found the problem. The bar that connects to the outside door handle will not stay placed though its hole on the handle. Any suggestions? Do you guys/girls know to what I am referring?

Thanks. I pulled the panel and found the problem. The bar that connects to the outside door handle will not stay placed though its hole on the handle. Any suggestions? Do you guys/girls know to what I am referring?

bar rod, same? where the rod fits in the handle, there should be a plastic clip that fits around the rod and it should have an angle on it that pushes into the hole in the handle. you should be able to get something that small from the dealer at a small cost, or a salvage yard.

this should help....

post-5365-127196968603_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Probably too late, but... I had same problem with both doors last month. Found out the LS little plastic clips were not available, but the SC clips can be ordered and are identical. Simple relatively inexpensive fix.

Probably too late, but... I had same problem with both doors last month. Found out the LS little plastic clips were not available, but the SC clips can be ordered and are identical. Simple relatively inexpensive fix.

thanks for the info... good to know

It really isn't all that hard but if there is a junkyard near you, I'd go and practice on a Camry and learn by breaking junk rather than your own.

My outside front passenger door handle will not open the door. But the door will open from the inside. What do I need to fix?

DuaneG

UPDATE:

Well it took a couple of hours and about 4" of duct tape, but I it fixed. The clip that held the post in the hole on the handle broke off. So I taped the post into the hole. Tiny opening and could only work with 1 hand, but it is still holding tight.

Just wondering if the removal of the rear door panel on a 95 LS400 can be done (more or less) by following the front door tutorial you posted a link to. Rear door will not lock / unlock with remote, works by hand. I know what I would have to replace, but not sure on the correct procedure on removing the rear panel.