Possibly Buying Sc

I am possibly in the market for an SC but was not sure which would be a better buy, the 300 or 400. I am not real familiar with this Lexus model.

Can anyone share some of their thoughts about the positive and negative of both models.

Is one known to be more reliable then the other?

Are the later years more reliable?

How is the expensive is upkeep.

Thank you.

I'm buying a SC400 next week actually.

i liked SC's in general but i was more convinced to get a SC300 with manual tranny.

but i realized that its literally impossible to find one.

and we got a SC400 as a trade in at the place where i work, i test drove it.

its just a beauty. it wont pass safety and emissions as of now. however im so pleased with the car

that im willing to restore/mod the vehicle.

you must feel the V8. may be its my first time driving a V8 but, its just incredible.

I have driven both, and while the sc300 with the manual is fun... the bellow and punch of the V8 cannot be matched. The V8 in the SC is the same as the LS400, which Toyota spent hundreds of millions developing. I know for sure that if reliability is a concern, the first generation 92-94 is the most reliable. Also for the 94 and maybe the 93, you get better safety features, and larger brakes. The late models 98-00 have more punch and VVT-i, but in my opinion the addition of the small front grille and metal rimmed taillights kind of takes away from the timeless form. I bout mine two years ago for $7500 with 62000 miles, so there old and good ones are out there.

As far as repairs are concerned, always consult with another mechanic, instead of going to your local Lexus dealer, while its comforting knowing that the techs are trained specifically fro your car, the price premium is not worth it.

I wish you luck in finding your own beauty.

post-87433-127230116412_thumb.jpg

I have driven both, and while the sc300 with the manual is fun... the bellow and punch of the V8 cannot be matched. The V8 in the SC is the same as the LS400, which Toyota spent hundreds of millions developing. I know for sure that if reliability is a concern, the first generation 92-94 is the most reliable. Also for the 94 and maybe the 93, you get better safety features, and larger brakes. The late models 98-00 have more punch and VVT-i, but in my opinion the addition of the small front grille and metal rimmed taillights kind of takes away from the timeless form. I bout mine two years ago for $7500 with 62000 miles, so there old and good ones are out there.

As far as repairs are concerned, always consult with another mechanic, instead of going to your local Lexus dealer, while its comforting knowing that the techs are trained specifically fro your car, the price premium is not worth it.

I wish you luck in finding your own beauty.

post-87433-127230116412_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm buying a SC400 next week actually.

i liked SC's in general but i was more convinced to get a SC300 with manual tranny.

but i realized that its literally impossible to find one.

and we got a SC400 as a trade in at the place where i work, i test drove it.

its just a beauty. it wont pass safety and emissions as of now. however im so pleased with the car

that im willing to restore/mod the vehicle.

you must feel the V8. may be its my first time driving a V8 but, its just incredible.

I'm new to this, so here goes. Does anyone know how many SC 5spd's were sold in the US? how many left? I have owned one since 1993. And we just love it! Talk about power, a few weeks after buying it, I had already found out you can not over rev it, when it redlines it cuts off power (electrical?) to the engine. So I thought I'd see what it would do, was going though the gears, I was going 130mph and it was getting ready to redline and I was still in THIRD GEAR. neadless to say I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid, If it will go 130 in 3rd, It sure as heck will go 160 (speedometer topend) in 5th much less 4th. Haven't had it near that speed since. Just Interstate speeds or so. Let me know about the numbers, thanks

Sc300/400 are reliable period, if taken care of properly by owners. The brakes are larger on the sc400 compare to the Sc300. SC400 came stock with 16x7.5-inch alloy wheels and the SC300 came stock with 15x6.5-inch turbine-cut alloy wheels, but the Sc400 '99 & up have larger brakes compared to other Sc400 models.

http://www.intellexual.net/sc400.html

Common problems/history about the Lexus Sc300/400

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

just bought an sc a couple of days ago. the dealer ship had a 300 and a 400 manual for sale. One of the mechanics told me that 3000 we sold in the u.s. true or false, not sure but its a number for you.

Thank you. I know that mine is the only one in my area and for several hundred miles, and has been for 8 or 9 years. Well, I wonder how many of the 3000 are left on the road, what with wrecks, engine problems, etc. BTW, the manuals were only made in the 300 series (straight six). If they had a 400 it was modified. maybe some one from Lexus/Toyota will read this and let us know... thanks again. Jeff

I bought my 1993 SC400 4 years ago with 167,000 miles on it. It now has 213,000 miles on it and it still runs strong. No complaints with the car other than common problems listed in other threads. These are very reliable cars.. it all depends on whether you want a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. Good luck