97 Es300 Blinking Ac Light And No Ac When Blinking

total1

1) 97 ES300 just shy of 200K miles

2) AC panel light (green) blinks on/off

3) By working with the AC button on the panel (press on/off; press on/off etc.) I can sometimes get the AC to fully engage and the light stays green. If light stays green, AC is COLD! Routine is to hit the switch, speed up and maintain a steady speed just a tad bit higher than when I initially hit the switch. It's a real pain but it works 10%+ of the time now. Used to work 40%+.

4) The green light, if on, will go to flashing once I slow down.

5) Once engaged (and I can feel the engaging of the AC unit when I'm driving), unit puts out real cold air (temp=COLD). I had the AC recharged 9/2008 - 18+ months ago (20K++ miles).

So, do I need a compressor (part # R134A, think) or what ALL do I need? I'll need to take this to a local guy/shop for replacement as it's above my 'pay grade'.

I was just quoted $110 for the above unit (insurance quality, 30 day warranty) so I'll need Freon too. [i don't think unit is re-furbished] Is this the problem and/or what else to consider buy?

Local Toyota dealer wants $600++, if I remember correctly from late last year.

I'd like to get to local guy/shop and have them replace everything over a weekend so I'll need everything necessary at that time.

TIA!!

1) 97 ES300 just shy of 200K miles

2) AC panel light (green) blinks on/off

3) By working with the AC button on the panel (press on/off; press on/off etc.) I can sometimes get the AC to fully engage and the light stays green. If light stays green, AC is COLD! Routine is to hit the switch, speed up and maintain a steady speed just a tad bit higher than when I initially hit the switch. It's a real pain but it works 10%+ of the time now. Used to work 40%+.

4) The green light, if on, will go to flashing once I slow down.

5) Once engaged (and I can feel the engaging of the AC unit when I'm driving), unit puts out real cold air (temp=COLD). I had the AC recharged 9/2008 - 18+ months ago (20K++ miles).

So, do I need a compressor (part # R134A, think) or what ALL do I need? I'll need to take this to a local guy/shop for replacement as it's above my 'pay grade'.

I was just quoted $110 for the above unit (insurance quality, 30 day warranty) so I'll need Freon too. [i don't think unit is re-furbished] Is this the problem and/or what else to consider buy?

Local Toyota dealer wants $600++, if I remember correctly from late last year.

I'd like to get to local guy/shop and have them replace everything over a weekend so I'll need everything necessary at that time.

TIA!!

Hope this helps. I have a 2002 ES that was showing the same symptoms. I took it to a Lexus knockoff shop and the changed the a/c relay switch and that did the trick. Not sure if the same fix would apply to your '97. Hopefully some others will weigh in. Good luck.

Hope this helps. I have a 2002 ES that was showing the same symptoms. I took it to a Lexus knockoff shop and the changed the a/c relay switch and that did the trick. Not sure if the same fix would apply to your '97. Hopefully some others will weigh in. Good luck.

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know WHERE the 1997 ES300 AC Relay Switch is located so that I can replace it? It seems like a easy fix but I'm unable to locate where it is? Under the hood? If so, where? Behind the AC unit on the middle AC control unit? I've taken this out before several times but I'd like to know where to find it!

TIA!!!

Let me ask a more specific question relative to WHAT I'm supposed to purchase!

1) AC Ambient Temperature Switch ($30-60ish)

2) AC Clutch Relay ($15-30ish)

3) AC Compressor Relay ($15-65ish)

4) AC Relay Misc ($15-30ish)

5) AC Safety Switch ($140-300ish)

6) AC Trinary Switch ($140ish)

I presume that I need the AC Relay Misc but I'm not sure!

TIA

Suggestions on WHERE to purchase would be appreciated!

TIA

The local and very friendly Toyota dealership was willing to work with me yesterday when I dropped by. We replaced the MG CLT [90987-02012] - (AC clutch switch located in the switch panel just behind the battery - it runs $70ish but I didn't have to purchase it.). This did not solve the problem. ;-( So, I'm still searching for a solution and some suggestions.

Assistance always appreciated.

• 1 month later...

TIA

The local and very friendly Toyota dealership was willing to work with me yesterday when I dropped by. We replaced the MG CLT [90987-02012] - (AC clutch switch located in the switch panel just behind the battery - it runs $70ish but I didn't have to purchase it.). This did not solve the problem. ;-( So, I'm still searching for a solution and some suggestions.

Assistance always appreciated.

Not sure if this is the answer to the blinking A/C light, but mine did it briefly and the cold air stopped, only outside air temp was coming out. I called my friend and he had never heard of this problem. I thought back to the moment it happened and remember it had just rained a lot and I did hit some large pools of water. That is about the time it started blinking. I am guessing the water may have caused this problem. I turned the a/c off, shut off the car and the temp outside was a steamy 90. I let the car run for a few minutes and then tried the a/c again. It started working again and has not given me any more problems. The water may have entered into the connector for the compressor and once it dried out was nno longer shorting out the compressor. I am going to check the relay anyway and some of the other suggestions. Hope this helps.

• 11 months later...

Got 03 es300 and have blinking and no a/c also. relay is 90987-02012, would switching to 90987-02028 apply in my case?? appreciate some help please. trying to do most of this on my own if possible to save $$$.

• 2 months later...

you haven't been having power steering problems have you? in the es300, the power steering drives the cooling fan. if the revolutions are below specs this could cause overheating or a/c problems.

The AC light started blinking on my 1999 ES300. I turned it off while I was driving. When I came to a traffic light and stopped I turned it back on. IT KILLED THE ENGINE !! I turned the AC off and the car started back up and ran perfect. Later I tried the AC again and it still kills the engine. I am afraid to try it at a higher engine speed for fear of braking a belt.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Anybody have the air compressor replacement guides/instuctions?

The AC light started blinking on my 1999 ES300. I turned it off while I was driving. When I came to a traffic light and stopped I turned it back on. IT KILLED THE ENGINE !! I turned the AC off and the car started back up and ran perfect. Later I tried the AC again and it still kills the engine. I am afraid to try it at a higher engine speed for fear of braking a belt.

Any ideas or suggestions??

Anybody have the air compressor replacement guides/instuctions?

Relay for A/C light flashing applies to only '02-'04 ES300 and '03-'04 GX470 p/n 90987–02028 Relay, Magnet–Clutch. fpt2001, yours sounds like a seized A/C compressor. Earlier models- Check and adjust/replace A/C drive belt. Fans are electric and are not driven by any belts.