2008 Rx 350 Engine

I will try to make a long story as short as possible. Our 2008 RX 350 was determined to need a new engine due to sludge buildup. After about 60 days of back and forth with the dealer and corporate office they agreed to replace the engine and only charge for labor ($5000). Seemed like our only option so we agreed.

My wife picked up the vehicle and paid the $5000 - after driving 5 miles she noted the car was still smoking, called the dealership and they said that was normal and would go away after a week or so. She drove the car home that night and it had burned through 1 qt of oil in about 100 miles - she drove another 100 miles the next day and burned another qt of oil...we took the car back to the dealer and this is where it only gets worse.

1. They did not replace the engine, only the short block - the service manager and technician told me that a new engine was not available that it would have to be built from parts - this is not true, I called another dealership and got the part number and price and gave it to them...they acted surprised. They responded that the Sales Manager and the Customer Service did not understand what a "new" engine meant - however they seem to be the only one that thinks that a "new" engine means a new half an engine (short block) instead of a entire long block.

2. We agreed they would charge only for labor for a NEW engine, however they charged us for 50% of parts and labor - the service manager commented that he was not made aware of the agreement by his regional supervisor...strike 2.

3. Yesterday he called and said they discovered that the PCV valve was bad, they replaced that and the engine no longer smokes...my question is was that the original problem and why was that not discovered with 3 diagnostic tests at $110 each and did I pay $5000 for something that was not needed, if the PCV valve fixed the problem with this engine - would it have fixed the problem with the old engine? Strike 3!

Needless to say, I am very irritated, and feel like we have been scammed by the dealership, they now have the vehicle in their shop, while we have a loaner and await their reponse to these issues. I await to see how they will rectify this situation which has only gone from bad to worse....any thoughts?

I will try to make a long story as short as possible. Our 2008 RX 350 was determined to need a new engine due to sludge buildup. After about 60 days of back and forth with the dealer and corporate office they agreed to replace the engine and only charge for labor ($5000). Seemed like our only option so we agreed.

My wife picked up the vehicle and paid the $5000 - after driving 5 miles she noted the car was still smoking, called the dealership and they said that was normal and would go away after a week or so. She drove the car home that night and it had burned through 1 qt of oil in about 100 miles - she drove another 100 miles the next day and burned another qt of oil...we took the car back to the dealer and this is where it only gets worse.

1. They did not replace the engine, only the short block - the service manager and technician told me that a new engine was not available that it would have to be built from parts - this is not true, I called another dealership and got the part number and price and gave it to them...they acted surprised. They responded that the Sales Manager and the Customer Service did not understand what a "new" engine meant - however they seem to be the only one that thinks that a "new" engine means a new half an engine (short block) instead of a entire long block.

2. We agreed they would charge only for labor for a NEW engine, however they charged us for 50% of parts and labor - the service manager commented that he was not made aware of the agreement by his regional supervisor...strike 2.

3. Yesterday he called and said they discovered that the PCV valve was bad, they replaced that and the engine no longer smokes...my question is was that the original problem and why was that not discovered with 3 diagnostic tests at $110 each and did I pay $5000 for something that was not needed, if the PCV valve fixed the problem with this engine - would it have fixed the problem with the old engine? Strike 3!

Needless to say, I am very irritated, and feel like we have been scammed by the dealership, they now have the vehicle in their shop, while we have a loaner and await their reponse to these issues. I await to see how they will rectify this situation which has only gone from bad to worse....any thoughts?

How many miles were on the original engine? Was it still under the power train warranty? Sounds like you're dealing with an unscrupulous service manager and dealership in general and the techs appear to be idiots. Just my .02.

How many miles were on the original engine? Was it still under the power train warranty? Sounds like you're dealing with an unscrupulous service manager and dealership in general and the techs appear to be idiots. Just my .02.

Vehicle had 65k miles and was out of warranty - I feel the same that the service manager and technician cannot possibly be this uninformed and the only answer is that they have acted in concert to take advantage and mislead...even to the point of lying about the long block not being available - that they would "have to build it from scratch and they have never done that before"...I found the part umber and cost in 5 minutes with 1 phone call to a dealership 30 miles away.

File a complain with Lexus headquarter, considering everything that is going with Toyota right now, I got a feeling you will get a fast and fair response. Lexus HQ can call the dealer and adjust the cost.

That is rediculous, sludge motor in 65k....I thought their sludge problem was fixed.....

The oil sludge problem could be the result of the PCV valve stuck open. Thats why one should always try to get a second opinion with any big repair job.

That is rediculous, sludge motor in 65k....I thought their sludge problem was fixed.....

The oil sludge problem could be the result of the PCV valve stuck open. Thats why one should always try to get a second opinion with any big repair job.

I am thinking the same thing that the PCV valve caused the original condition - I took the vehicle to 3 different Lexus dealers and had a diagnostic run each time - which revealed nothing other than they cost $110 each time...it seems quite unusual that they found the problem AFTER replacing the short block and getting my $5000...I have reported the issue again to Customer Care and will wait to see what they have to say.

What kind of oil were you using? Who was changing your oil? What were your change intervals? What type of driving do you do most (city or highway). 65K miles is very low miles for a Toyota engine. I would get your ducks in a row to start a legal battle with the Lexus dealer and whoever changed your oil. 5K for labor only? That's 40 hours of labor @$125 pr hr. No way it takes a week to do a short block. The dealer you are using is using you to buy that new boat he always wanted. Go for the throat and don't let go till he gives you all your money back and a new engine with a 3 year warranty. Make sure you keep the loaner car also. Call Lexus corporate every day till you get what you want.

Jeff

What kind of oil were you using? Who was changing your oil? What were your change intervals? What type of driving do you do most (city or highway). 65K miles is very low miles for a Toyota engine. I would get your ducks in a row to start a legal battle with the Lexus dealer and whoever changed your oil. 5K for labor only? That's 40 hours of labor @$125 pr hr. No way it takes a week to do a short block. The dealer you are using is using you to buy that new boat he always wanted. Go for the throat and don't let go till he gives you all your money back and a new engine with a 3 year warranty. Make sure you keep the loaner car also. Call Lexus corporate every day till you get what you want.

Jeff

Oil changes were done every 5-7k miles, we did present those receipts to Lexus Customer Care - and after 60 days of back and forth they agreed to "good will" the engine if we paid labor...not what we wanted but we know the enine was $15000 and paying only the labor $5000 seemed like the best offer we were going to get. The agreement was a new engine with full warranty for only labor charges...we got 1/2 an engine, charged for 1/2 the parts, and paid the full 5k...I am waiting to hear from Customer Care today - if they do not correct this, I will pursue action through Lemon Law, Legal Representation and BBB...I am of the opinion that this dealership employees dishonest scumbags and they need to pay for that practice.

Oil changes were done every 5-7k miles, we did present those receipts to Lexus Customer Care - and after 60 days of back and forth they agreed to "good will" the engine if we paid labor...not what we wanted but we know the enine was $15000 and paying only the labor $5000 seemed like the best offer we were going to get. The agreement was a new engine with full warranty for only labor charges...we got 1/2 an engine, charged for 1/2 the parts, and paid the full 5k...I am waiting to hear from Customer Care today - if they do not correct this, I will pursue action through Lemon Law, Legal Representation and BBB...I am of the opinion that this dealership employees dishonest scumbags and they need to pay for that practice.

Did you sign a consent form for them to replace your short block?, If you did, it might be a difficult legal battle.

Did you sign a consent form for them to replace your short block?, If you did, it might be a difficult legal battle

No - we did not sign anything until picking up the vehicle.

Care to share the name of the dealership?

Its a pretty common knowledge that a defective PCV valve can cause oil sludge build up. I think you have a good case here, the last thing Toyota wants is another law suit right now. Try to get some kind of compensation from Lexus of USA and the dealer, if they refuse, have a lawyer write them a letter of your intent to sue.

Good Luck

Care to share the name of the dealership?

Its a pretty common knowledge that a defective PCV valve can cause oil sludge build up. I think you have a good case here, the last thing Toyota wants is another law suit right now. Try to get some kind of compensation from Lexus of USA and the dealer, if they refuse, have a lawyer write them a letter of your intent to sue.

Good Luck

Called the dealership this morning and read them the portion of the Lemon Law guidelines that says that I need to request a meeting with the Dealership owner before filing a claim - they called me back and said they now admit that the short block was not the solution and they would need to "order more parts" and tear the engine back down, so it wil be a few more days - no word from Customer Care yet.

Called the dealership this morning and read them the portion of the Lemon Law guidelines that says that I need to request a meeting with the Dealership owner before filing a claim - they called me back and said they now admit that the short block was not the solution and they would need to "order more parts" and tear the engine back down, so it wil be a few more days - no word from Customer Care yet.

I thought that the PCV valve fixed the problem????

I thought that the PCV valve fixed the problem????

So they said...got another call today and it will be at least until Monday. I think some of the advice given in this forum has had an impact. Thanks to all!