Ls430 Mirror Control (Driver Mirror Only)

lizardking

My LS430's driver mirror is difficult to move vertically (down more so than up). from what I have deduced thusfar, it appears to be a fault in the button (remote directional pad), as applying pressure in a certain way will move the mirror readily...but i have to get it just right to get the mirror to move down. also, when the lever that selects left/right mirror is in the 'left' position, the mirrors do not automatically tilt down, however they do tilt down when the lever is on the 'right' position, which, again, leads me to the remote directional pad assembly. Anyone have any experience with replacing the remote pad assembly? is it easy to pop out and test/replace? Any knowledge of the mirror motor(s) causing this type of response (though i should be able to test the directional pad easily if it can be removed (guidance here please).

If i have mis-posted this question to the wrong forum, please accept my apologies

I've been a lurker here for about a year. my first post here, simply because I haven't had a reason to revisit since making my purchase last year. this site was key in my decision to purchase an LS430. I've had about 9 months of ownership nirvana with my first Lexus, and i'm smitten. Previously i drove a BMW 5 series, which i was also smitten with initially (and honestly i still prefer the sportier handling, but that's all), but the repairs became a nightmare after about 90k miles, averaging 4-6k/yr in my experience (mostly all engine cooling system related, plus a head gasket, then the final straw being the auto transmission going out, and thus the end for me)...when repairs hit a the mark of a car payment over a 3 year period, i start looking for alternatives. So reliability was what i was after; time will tell but Lexus history serves well. though I've seen posts about the LS being a "boring" car, it is anything but boring imho. Hard accelleration makes that whisper quiet motor produce a muted symphony that is like tearing silk.

My external mirrors(both) auto tilt down when in reverse IF the mirror switch is in either the R or L position. The center position disables any movement, auto tilt or rocker position switch.

If I were in your situation, I would first take a quick look at your owners manual to make sure the mirrors are operating as designed. If you determine that there still exists some

sort of intermittent contact operation, you *might* be able to clean up the switch contacts by spritzing (very little and using the tube nozzle) contact cleaner directly into the switch assembly and working it around.

You can get TV tuner/Control contact cleaner at your local Radio Shack.

Thank you lander, it didn't occur to me to try a contact cleaner. it'll be a couple of days before i can get by a radio shack, i'll give it a try this weekend and update the post.

You're welcome. Something else occurred to me. Before the cleaner you might try a few "puffs" of compressed air in the switch assembly. Perhaps a piece of lint or dust is trapped in there and that might be all that is needed to dislodge it. You can get a can of compressed air at Radio Shack as well. After the air, then the cleaner could be used. Of course, if you use the cleaner, make sure you wipe any excess off the plastic right away. I do not think it will harm any plastic but do a little sample test somewhere inconspicuous just to make sure.

My LS430's driver mirror is difficult to move vertically (down more so than up). from what I have deduced thusfar, it appears to be a fault in the button (remote directional pad), as applying pressure in a certain way will move the mirror readily...but i have to get it just right to get the mirror to move down. also, when the lever that selects left/right mirror is in the 'left' position, the mirrors do not automatically tilt down, however they do tilt down when the lever is on the 'right' position, which, again, leads me to the remote directional pad assembly. Anyone have any experience with replacing the remote pad assembly? is it easy to pop out and test/replace? Any knowledge of the mirror motor(s) causing this type of response (though i should be able to test the directional pad easily if it can be removed (guidance here please).

If i have mis-posted this question to the wrong forum, please accept my apologies

I've been a lurker here for about a year. my first post here, simply because I haven't had a reason to revisit since making my purchase last year. this site was key in my decision to purchase an LS430. I've had about 9 months of ownership nirvana with my first Lexus, and i'm smitten. Previously i drove a BMW 5 series, which i was also smitten with initially (and honestly i still prefer the sportier handling, but that's all), but the repairs became a nightmare after about 90k miles, averaging 4-6k/yr in my experience (mostly all engine cooling system related, plus a head gasket, then the final straw being the auto transmission going out, and thus the end for me)...when repairs hit a the mark of a car payment over a 3 year period, i start looking for alternatives. So reliability was what i was after; time will tell but Lexus history serves well. though I've seen posts about the LS being a "boring" car, it is anything but boring imho. Hard accelleration makes that whisper quiet motor produce a muted symphony that is like tearing silk.

I took the module out just last week due to the same issues. Once out, the switch comes apart fairly easily and it is very easy to clean the contacts. It is also easy to reinstall. Now it works like new. Take your time so as not to harm the material around the switch. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

I also posted for a similar problem where my mirrors were sticking and difficult to move up and down. I had incorrectly assumed it was a fouled mechanism and motor problems in the mirror.

Heres how I found out it wasnt the mirror mechanism. I moved the mirror to the most down position by pressing the switch. It got stuck there and when I pressed the up button it wouldnt go up. I then pressed the 1 key for the seat/mirror memory on the door and smooth as silk the mirror travelled to the proper position. This told me the mechanism is fine and no need to tear into the mirror assembly.

I thought I would embellish this some in case someone else had same problems. Do the test above if you are having trouble moving mirrors to see if it's the switch or the mechanism. My next task is to pull and clean the switch...

I also posted for a similar problem where my mirrors were sticking and difficult to move up and down. I had incorrectly assumed it was a fouled mechanism and motor problems in the mirror.

Here’s how I found out it wasn’t the mirror mechanism. I moved the mirror to the most down position by pressing the switch. It got stuck there and when I pressed the up button it wouldn’t go up. I then pressed the “1” key for the seat/mirror memory on the door and smooth as silk the mirror travelled to the proper position. This told me the mechanism is fine and no need to tear into the mirror assembly.

I thought I would embellish this some in case someone else had same problems. Do the test above if you are having trouble moving mirrors to see if it's the switch or the mechanism. My next task is to pull and clean the switch...

Good logic, curiousB. Let us know how easy/difficult it is to remove the switch assembly. A few pictures would be nice! :)

I have an even stranger problem.

My 2000 LS400, has a small fault with the drivers mirror.

Every time I turn on the ignition, the mirror moves out 1 cog.

After around 5 "starts" I have to hit the mirror "park" button twice for it to reset itself to the memory position.

I have tried centring up the mirror itself, but it appears that its the body of the mirror rotating.

I've tried re-saving memory 1 and 2, without success.

I can switch the ignition on and off around 8 times before the drivers mirror motors right out to the limit!

Anyone heard this one before?

Cheers

either here on in clublexus someone has posted detailed instructions and pics about removing and thoroughly cleaning the mirror switch contacts. i haven't done it yet but others in the thread raved about how well it worked. there's a link to it in my thread about repairing the coin box/tray. gkkes, cleaning the contacts may help.