Buying An Is 250

I've recently been looking at purchasing a 2006-2007 Lexus IS 250 with around 50,000 miles.

1. I know the 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance inspection is one of the first largest costs the IS comes to, and am wondering if anyone thinks it may be feasible to work a deal with an authorized dealer to include the 60,000 mile inspection free with the purchase of the car (depending on how close the car is to 60,000 miles). Has anyone ever attempted this or have any thoughts?
    If they would not do it, do you feel it may be worthwhile to just purchase the car with 60,000 miles to where the 60,000 Mile Scheduled Maintenance Inspection has already been completed?

I really don't want to buy a ~55,000 mile car just to turn around and pay $1,000 - $1,500 in maintenance costs.

Most of the cars I have found that are certified come with an additional 3 year/100,000 mile warranty from Lexus.

• Do you feel it is worth paying the additional cost (~1,500 - 2,000) to buy a certified car from a Lexus dealer, versus a private seller or non-Lexus dealer, to have this warranty on the car?

• If buying the Lexus from a Private Seller or non-Lexus dealer, has anyone ever had the seller take the car to a Lexus/Toyota dealer of their choice and have them do a thorough inspection of the car; to be able to review the results and actual condition of the car before purchasing it? Anyone have any idea what a Lexus/Toyota dealer would charge to do the inspection?

Thanks for all your help!

Greg

I've recently been looking at purchasing a 2006-2007 Lexus IS 250 with around 50,000 miles.

1. I know the 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance inspection is one of the first largest costs the IS comes to, and am wondering if anyone thinks it may be feasible to work a deal with an authorized dealer to include the 60,000 mile inspection free with the purchase of the car (depending on how close the car is to 60,000 miles). Has anyone ever attempted this or have any thoughts?
    If they would not do it, do you feel it may be worthwhile to just purchase the car with 60,000 miles to where the 60,000 Mile Scheduled Maintenance Inspection has already been completed?

I really don't want to buy a ~55,000 mile car just to turn around and pay $1,000 - $1,500 in maintenance costs.

Most of the cars I have found that are certified come with an additional 3 year/100,000 mile warranty from Lexus.

• Do you feel it is worth paying the additional cost (~1,500 - 2,000) to buy a certified car from a Lexus dealer, versus a private seller or non-Lexus dealer, to have this warranty on the car?

• If buying the Lexus from a Private Seller or non-Lexus dealer, has anyone ever had the seller take the car to a Lexus/Toyota dealer of their choice and have them do a thorough inspection of the car; to be able to review the results and actual condition of the car before purchasing it? Anyone have any idea what a Lexus/Toyota dealer would charge to do the inspection?

Greg

I would definately negotiate in the cost of doing the 60k service. I would just have them do the service as a condition of purchase. And yes, I would spend the few extra bucks on a certified preowned car unless your buying from a private owner. In that case, talk to the owner and find out where they had the car serviced. If it's a dealer serviced car, you can have the current owner call the dealer and have them pull a maintenance history on the car for you to see for yourself. If they take it outside for service, then you'll have to have the car inspected by someone who knows what they are doing, pull a carfax, and so on.

Greg

I would definately negotiate in the cost of doing the 60k service. I would just have them do the service as a condition of purchase. And yes, I would spend the few extra bucks on a certified preowned car unless your buying from a private owner. In that case, talk to the owner and find out where they had the car serviced. If it's a dealer serviced car, you can have the current owner call the dealer and have them pull a maintenance history on the car for you to see for yourself. If they take it outside for service, then you'll have to have the car inspected by someone who knows what they are doing, pull a carfax, and so on.

Thanks, Smooth; that is what I was thinking. If I buy from a dealer I would attempt to negotiate the price of the 60k service into the purchase of the vehicle. Also, if buying a certified car, I also get the 3 year / 100,000 mile additional warranty from Lexus, and with a car with ~5X,000 miles on it isn't a bad idea.

Now my next challenge: How do I get the dealer to put it in writing to do the 60k service, and to ensure they are actually changing the parts that need changing; rather than just changing the cheap parts they don't make much profit on and calling it good - or do you think this will be a non-issue? I would like to get it in writing though.