Non Factory Satallite Radio

bitteroot

Hello:

This is my first post so I hope I am doing it correctly.

I just bought a used 2008 ES. It does not have a satallite radio I assume all 2008 are pre wired for one.

Lexus dealership wants 1200 dollars to install satalite which is way to high. Can a company such as Best Buy install Sirus or XM in the 2008 ES to where it will look like its factory installed? How difficult a task is this if it can be done. Anything I need to be especially careful about if it can be installed at Best Buy or similar storre?

Thanks to all who can help.

There are kits on eBay that use VAIS components that will look and operate like factory satelite. I think thy are around $300 but they may be more or less -- search eBay.

Who knows if would get a competent installer at eBay. Installing a sat radio should be a pretty easy DIY project -- it's not difficult to pull the radio out and run wires to a sat antenna.

There are kits on eBay that use VAIS components that will look and operate like factory satelite. I think thy are around $300 but they may be more or less -- search eBay.

Who knows if would get a competent installer at Best Buy. Installing a sat radio should be a pretty easy DIY project -- it's not difficult to pull the radio out and run wires to a sat antenna.

My dealer (Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis) did a great job and charged just over $500, which I thought was a lot! Seems way more reasonable than $1,200 though. I have been very pleased since my satellite was installed.

I have one of the small portable XM receivers and I had one of the cradles for the unit mounted in my car... I used a RAM mount for the cradle and then paid a local car audio shop $100 to run the antenna and the power. I had them run the audio line out from the cradle into the storage box between the front seats so I could unplug it and plug in my IPod when I want to use it... works perfect and the RAM mount with their shortest stalk is the perfect height... their ball mounts give you enough angles that you can get the right one to see the screen easily.

actually it is very small unit, smaller than a pack of cigs and half the depth.. I have the RAM mount mounted on the passanger side of the console. With the RAM mount it looks very "factory" , it is slick and the adjustability is very nice. The other benifit of the portable unit is that I can listen to it like an MP3 player, or hook it into my stereo anywhere in the house.... can't do that with a head unit.

it's just a simple stick on base that the guy made that sticks to the side of the counsole.... comes right off, no damage to the plastic... they made the mounting piece out of black plastic that they molded to the edge shape of the console... then they mounted the Ram base to that.... looks great actually... I'm ordering a RAM piece that will hold my IPod next week.. then I can just interchange the top piece between the XM and the IPod if/ when I want to... but I'm pretty addicted to the XM unit... having the portable unit stops the need for multiple subscription costs... I'm I'm just as picky as you about what I do to my cars...

I know exactly the mount you mean...and its great you like that but personally, I could never mount something like that in a brand new $40k automobile...especially when there is a very elegant hidden setup available.

Multiple subscription costs? They're like $6 a month. Again...$40,000 automobile.