My First Problem With My Bmw

LEXIRX330

Well encountered my first problem with my X5. I have a 2006 X5 3.0

Driving home from work my battery light started flashing and then went off...as I was pulling in to my development she shut off on me the battery light was on and the screen showed Engine Shutoff Safe... I think? Man I could not believe it...I tried to start it and the engine turned over fine but it seemed like it was not getting any gas. I tried a couple of times but no luck at all. Called BMW assist...and they dispatched a tow...and she is sitting at the dealership now.

Just thought I would share...

So it begins ;)

We will see what it is but my $$$ is on the alternator. I know of a couple of people that said the same thing happened to their BMWs and that is what it was? I have to say so far the BMW dealership has been great...I will keep everyone posted.

I am not going to get bent out of shape about it this time...but if I end up having more problems the car will be gone. I do not have time to worry about a car. I guess Shi! happens. But I am giving my Lexus Buds...a chance to take a jab at my BMW... :ph34r:

Lexi, you've got the certified warranty coverage don't you? Are you in a free BMW loaner? I'm REALLY in love with the 07 328 xi wagon, and the same year 530 xi wagon too. Very tough to find in white that isn't priced over the top.

Those peice of sh*t European cars, BMW = Bring Money With ya!! Your lucky it lasted this long........... LOL! wink.gif

So have they said what the issue is yet? I have heard alot about the BMW alternator issues though. So your probably right.

Lexi, you've got the certified warranty coverage don't you? Are you in a free BMW loaner? I'm REALLY in love with the 07 328 xi wagon, and the same year 530 xi wagon too. Very tough to find in white that isn't priced over the top.

well the loaner has been offered but it is more trouble to go get it since the dealer was closed when I had problems. I would have to make two trips there and they are telling me it should be done today.

By the way bad ignition switch and they are testing the alt. too.

A bad igntion switch huh? (shakes head.) Little things can happen to any car, I wouldn't rush to any judgements on it. You've had the BMW now what almost 2 years?

I'm curious if it's just a replacement of a switch, or all of the surrounding components too? From my research on BMW so far, and one of the reasons I'm liking them more and more, is their ability to just fix the part that is broken, instead of the whole entire assembly, like say, oh I don't know, just for example.....a worn suspension bushing for $40 vs the entire friggin control arm for 5X the price! :whistles:

I'm curious if it's just a replacement of a switch, or all of the surrounding components too? From my research on BMW so far, and one of the reasons I'm liking them more and more, is their ability to just fix the part that is broken, instead of the whole entire assembly, like say, oh I don't know, just for example.....a worn suspension bushing for $40 vs the entire friggin control arm for 5X the price! :whistles:

well I have had it 1 year and a few months but I have been racking up th miles got 59k on it.

NC not sure what they are replacing but I will let you know when I do.

Well got a loaner mine is still not done 09 x5. She is sweet but I am ready to get mine back. The parts did not come in and it is going to rain wed and my Harley doesn't have wipers on it :)

Got my X back today. All it was the ignition switch got it back today kept the loaner for a couple extra days.

Good to hear she is all fixed. I know it is not polite to ask but....what wa$ the damage?

Got my X back today. All it was the ignition switch got it back today kept the loaner for a couple extra days.

Good to hear she is all fixed. I know it is not polite to ask but....what wa$ the damage?

Actually $50.00. The BMW cpo program has a $50.00 deduct. that you have to pay. But I did have a small power steering leak that was pointed out the last time I had it serviced. So the tow, loaner, and repairs $50.00.

• 4 weeks later...

I might have a BMW parked in my garage also, but I don't have hopes of it surviving as long as my GX lol. Glad it wasn't a major problem! I heard a lot of 09 550i having defective BATTERY CABLES.. :chairshot: Spending over $70k on a car and getting a simple problem like a defective battery cable that not even the $12k KIAs have. :unsure: