A/c Relay Location

RogerBoyd

where is the ac magnetic clutch relay on a lexus gx470? to clarify, can anyone tell me which relay in the fuse box is the one to be replaced. There are several with the part number 90987-02022 and none are labeled A/C - the labels are: CDS FAN; FR FOG; MG CLT; AC115V INV; C/OPN; DOME; EFI

I'm guessing it's either CDS FAN or MG CLT but am not sure. Can anyone help me?

Cheers

where is the ac magnetic clutch relay on a lexus gx470? to clarify, can anyone tell me which relay in the fuse box is the one to be replaced. There are several with the part number 90987-02022 and none are labeled A/C - the labels are: CDS FAN; FR FOG; MG CLT; AC115V INV; C/OPN; DOME; EFI

I'm guessing it's either CDS FAN or MG CLT but am not sure. Can anyone help me?

Cheers

• Like 1

Well - I didn't get any replies but I did figure it out. Just in case someone else needs this information, here goes:

The bad relay is part number 90987-02022 and the label inside the fuse box lid is "MG CLT" which stands for "magnetic clutch". It has to be replaced with part number 90987-02028 (according to LEXUS Technical bulletin EL009-05) which will cost between $70 and $100 depending on which dealer you go to (Toyota carries this too). I bought one, plugged it in and voila, the blinking stopped and the air conditioning started working again.

Hope this helps someone.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that I have a similar problem with our 2003 LX470, but I don't see anything similar to "MG CLT." If anyone has suggestions, please forward. We live in Florida, where air conditioning (A/C) is required! Thank you in advance.

Well - I didn't get any replies but I did figure it out. Just in case someone else needs this information, here goes:

The bad relay is part number 90987-02022 and the label inside the fuse box lid is "MG CLT" which stands for "magnetic clutch". It has to be replaced with part number 90987-02028 (according to LEXUS Technical bulletin EL009-05) which will cost between $70 and $100 depending on which dealer you go to (Toyota carries this too). I bought one, plugged it in and voila, the blinking stopped and the air conditioning started working again.

Hope this helps someone.

• 8 months later...

Roger, your advice was right-on for me. Had the "Check Air Conditioner" warning on the nav screen that appeared momentarily after starting my 2003 GX-470. Since I was not certain whether the warning was due to MG CLT relay, I went into troubleshooting mode and purchased an aftermarket replacement relay at O-Reilly auto parts for $13.99 with a lifetime warranty. We'll see how long it holds out, but for now the error is gone and all is well. Thanks for the post!

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the info on the A/C relay, I knew it was a relay but just did not know which one, I went down to my local parts store and purchased an after market one for $14.00 and my A/C is working great again.

Thanks again

Ozark Lexus

• 10 months later...

Hope this helps someone.

Can you point out the location of the ac magnetic clutch relay from this picture. It looks like the relay below the blue relay from the top row. Do you still recall? Thanks much.

post-155843-0-18985000-1398615336_thumb.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2002 Lexus ES 300 and I ran into same issue few weeks ago and of course during summer. A/C light started blinking, air blows but doesn't cool. I am following this thread and thanks to BillitZky for the photo, I am in same boat where I know I am supposed try and replace the 90987-02022 with part number 90987-02028 before the dealer sharks get a big bite of my pocket.

I don't know where to find this relay. If anyone could please point an arrow of share a video link we would really appreciate it. This forum is great. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE ON MY SEARCH-

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD, I was able to find the right replacement and fix my car in $18.00

Cost Comparison-

Generic part from AutoZone with lifetime warranty - $18 + tax

Original Part on Amazon - $30.00

Toyota Of Kirkland - $150 to look at the issue, $90 to sell the relay + tax

Lexus of Bellevue - $150 to look at the issue , $125 to sell the relay + tax

I just took the part number 90987-02028 to AutoZone and they were kind enough to locate it for me.

• 9 months later...

Just as an FYI, been reading all the info on this "check air-conditioner" message on the GX470. I have a 2007 with the same issue. Popped the fuse lid off under the hood and found on the inside of the lid "MG CLT" (or something similar to). Took it to AutoZone and paid 22.99 plus tax. Worked like a charm! Thanks to all those who researched this issue!

Update: That fuse blew about 3 weeks later. Took it to a couple of air conditioning places, who couldn't diagnose it. Finally, took it to Toyota dealer and after several days of having the vehicle they replaced the clutch. Now it works fine, no more blown fuses.

• 4 months later...

Great post guys. Helped me immensely. Used the "new" relay # (90987-02028) and went to Autozone and they cross referenced it for me. Also found this in my search - http://densoautoparts.com/sites/default/files/tech-tips/Tech%20Tips_012_AC%20Clutch%20Inoperative.pdf

• 11 months later...
On 4/19/2010 at 3:02 PM, RogerBoyd said:

Hope this helps someone.

I just replaced mine. Cost me CDN 29.99 from Part Source. AC now works perfectly. Thanks !!!

Had exactly the same relay fail on my Honda CR-V

Replaced it for around £3.60 GBP  and had to reset the Engine Management warning lamp and reset the Climate Control system.

Cheap fix !

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

As a way of giving this thread a bump, and thanking the previous posters, I encountered this problem in my 2004 GX this week, and was able to get the replacement relay from Autozone for $16. Easy fix, and the second time I've had to do it (once around 100k miles, and now at 217k miles).

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...