Theft Deterrent Design Radio

ajahearn

I recently picked up a 96 LS400 with the pioneer radio. Imprinted on the cassette door are the words "Theft Deterrent Design". I have read a few postings that talk about having to enter a security code into the radio when the power is shut off. However, they also say that the OM has information about this feature. I cannot find anything in the OM about entering any code. The OM does talk about the security feature with arming the door locks, etc. but makes no mention of the radio.

Unfortunately I cannot ask the previous owner but I'm almost certain that I have the OM that was delivered with the car. Another data point is that I recently had the radio LCD replaced (Mikado) and they never asked for any kind of code. So is there any code to worry about? I ask because I'm planning on replacing the headlight bulbs and the SM suggests disconnecting the battery. I can probably replace without disconnecting but I would like to follow the guidelines. Thanks in advance.

I have a similar problem..replaced battery and stereo asked for a security code for access. I entered my code and it would not take it and then after a few tries, the whole stereo went blank and I cannot get it to do anything..Asked dealer about it and they said leave the car and they could reset it but I dont want to pay the outrageous price they would charge me.. Is there anyway around this?? Im sure some owners have had this problem and someone must know how to correct this situation... Thanks very much for your time and suggestions, Bobby

If you already had the headunit removed for repair, Then there is no code stored. cheers.gif

If you already had the headunit removed for repair, Then there is no code stored. cheers.gif

I don't think this is correct. I just spoke with the Mikado guy who did my radio repair. He claims that there is a code but he told me to find the code he would have to tear the radio apart. He confirmed that if the car battery is dead for an extended period of time that the radio would no longer work.

I'm still puzzled as to why the OM does not have any reference to the security code.