Sprint Cell Phone Service

nc211

I'm intrigued by Sprint's $70/Month All-In plan, and also intriqued by a recent deal I saw of a $300M mortgage being refinanced for a national leader of cell phone tower owners, who's biggest client that leases the most bandwidth being, of all people, Sprint. BUT, we've all heard the stories of Sprint customers in the past. So, I'm curious if anyone has them CURRENTLY, and what your opinion is? Is it really the "new" sprint, or just lipstick on the pig again? I've compared the "maps", but what they don't tell you is "leased" coverage as well. Kind of like when you travel and turn your phone on to realize you're on a different network, but it still works and doesn't cost you anymore.

It really depends on where you are. I have Verizon and my business partner has Sprint...we have identical BlackBerrys. His drops calls more than mine...that I do know...

His service is a LOT LOT cheaper though.

Thanks Steve, that's what I was afraid of. My brother, who doesn't live but 5 miles from Sprint's World HQ in Overland Park, KS, is on AT&T, if that says anything..

We decided to stick with AT&T, and pulled the trigger on a new Iphone 3Gs yesterday for my wife. Ok ok ok, I conceide to the Mac heads here...it's flippin awesome!! Since my wife usually travels home to NC for a week every 6 weeks or so with our son, I wanted her to have the ability to access the internet and all the wonderful little gadgets that make her life easier. I also figured, since reading a couple of articles that show the only profit driver of the Iphone for AT&T is the $30/month data plan itself, that it probably won't be going away anytime soon. So, a few hundred bucks later, and a renewed 2 year contract, we sat up until midnight last night playing with the thing.

My set up just won't die. I've still got my original Motorola RAZR from three years ago that works perfectly, and of course my 4th blackberry from the office. I call it my "herpe" because no matter what I do to them, they always seem to come back. And not only that, they keep coming back in a newer version. I'm on the "Tour" model now. Guess I'll need to ditch it in Europe to justify it to corporate. Hate the damn thing! :lol:

Thanks Steve, that's what I was afraid of. My brother, who doesn't live but 5 miles from Sprint's World HQ in Overland Park, KS, is on AT&T, if that says anything..

We decided to stick with AT&T, and pulled the trigger on a new Iphone 3Gs yesterday for my wife. Ok ok ok, I conceide to the Mac heads here...it's flippin awesome!! Since my wife usually travels home to NC for a week every 6 weeks or so with our son, I wanted her to have the ability to access the internet and all the wonderful little gadgets that make her life easier. I also figured, since reading a couple of articles that show the only profit driver of the Iphone for AT&T is the $30/month data plan itself, that it probably won't be going away anytime soon. So, a few hundred bucks later, and a renewed 2 year contract, we sat up until midnight last night playing with the thing.

My set up just won't die. I've still got my original Motorola RAZR from three years ago that works perfectly, and of course my 4th blackberry from the office. I call it my "herpe" because no matter what I do to them, they always seem to come back. And not only that, they keep coming back in a newer version. I'm on the "Tour" model now. Guess I'll need to ditch it in Europe to justify it to corporate. Hate the damn thing! :lol:

LOL! I remember the RAZR, I still have a T-mobile one, though it has long since been disconnected, its still a freakin awesome phone.

I've been with Sprint now for about 11 years. I haven't had any problems. But I also love the iphone, but I hate AT&T even more! I just switched my business phones from AT&T to Bright House Networks, (A cable TV company here). AT&T's max. internet speed is 6 mbs for 79.99 a month. By switching to BHN, I went to 15 mbs for 59.99 a month! After I "bundled" 4 telephone lines, Cable TV, and 15 mbs internet service, my total bill went down $239.00 a month, and I have cable TV in my office now on top of it, whereas before cable tv wasn't an option. Go figure!

So Verizon is supposed to be getting the iphone in a couple of months. And they have the same $70/month plan that Sprint has. I was going to wait and see. Heck the way I see it is, without the iphone, AT&T doesn't have anything really! All those years of "If you want an iphone, you have to make AT&T rich" is just about over!

I thought about that Smooth, and heard verizon might be getting the iphone too. But, i simply decided that if they do get it, there will probably be something else associated with it that wouldn't make enough of a difference to me to wait. At the end of the day, they'll get you one way or another. The main reason we've had our cell service with AT&T for so long (years, even when it was cingular) is the rollover minutes. Last time I had a surprise phone bill was in 2004, when I was with Altel in Raleigh. I got scammed during a freak ice storm that had me stuck on a road for nearly 12 hours "whole town was stuck". Everytime I tried to make a call, even though the circuits were all busy, they charged me for it. Scammed me out of $200. Been with AT&T ever since. They lose that rollover plan though, and they'll probably lose a big chunk of their business.

I thought about that Smooth, and heard verizon might be getting the iphone too. But, i simply decided that if they do get it, there will probably be something else associated with it that wouldn't make enough of a difference to me to wait. At the end of the day, they'll get you one way or another. The main reason we've had our cell service with AT&T for so long (years, even when it was cingular) is the rollover minutes. Last time I had a surprise phone bill was in 2004, when I was with Altel in Raleigh. I got scammed during a freak ice storm that had me stuck on a road for nearly 12 hours "whole town was stuck". Everytime I tried to make a call, even though the circuits were all busy, they charged me for it. Scammed me out of $200. Been with AT&T ever since. They lose that rollover plan though, and they'll probably lose a big chunk of their business.

Yeah, I admit that I have a personal issue with AT&T as well. If I can talk one person who was about to go with AT&T and switched them to any other phone company, I get a real sense of satisfaction from that. LOL!! Yeah, I really had some BIG issues with AT&T! I've already told them that every blog, board, email, website, or conversation that I ever have regarding AT&T will become my sole mission to talk them out of signing up with AT&T, and making sure wveryone hears and reads about the very bad service, and treatment I expereinced with them. SO, I'm just doing my job here NC. LOL!!! rolleyes.gif

Verizon FTW! :D

I am proud owner of Moto Droid.

Wait till the 29th and you can pick yourself up an HTC Incredible. Awesome phone! However.. no physical keyboard.. which still makes the Moto Droid my #1 pick.

Thanks Steve, that's what I was afraid of. My brother, who doesn't live but 5 miles from Sprint's World HQ in Overland Park, KS, is on AT&T, if that says anything.

The company I retired from was next door to the now nearly empty Sprint headquarters in Overland Park -- it will make a great minimum security prison once Sprint collapses complelely. It was a running joke that Sprint employees couldn't get a strong enough signal around the Sprint campus to use their phones.

If you can stand Sprint's horrible service in most of the US and their combative "the customer is always wrong" attitude (not kidding -- that's what their support staff is taught) and happen to live in an area where Sprint provides more than marginal service, find a Sprint employee and get on their "friends and family" plan. At least as of a couple of days ago, the cost was only $20/month for unlimited voice, texting and data service.

"Sprint, the company pretending to be a phone company." I've been loaning my Southwestern Bell, then Cingular, then AT&T cell phones to Sprint customers for the past 20 years. Yes, I currently work with quite a few p1ssed off ex-Sprint employees.

Sprints customer service IS pretty horrible.

I heard if you call too many times with problems they can cancel your service at any moment for being a "problem customer"

That was my experience with sprint, and my buddy's experience with Sprint also.

In fact he was arguing with them about something the other day and I remember thinking how silly the whole thing was. Something they did wrong and he had to open up a new account because the computer wouldn't do something to reverse it...crazy.