Power Steering Pump Replacement 96 Ls400

BEH

I have a leaky PS pump dripping on my newly installed,costly alternator.I'm quoted about $1,100($675 pump, balance labor) to replace it by Lexus dealers.One shop warns me not to replace a quality factory Lexus PS pump with a low cost aftermarket,used junkyard or rebuilt one from an auto parts store.I find on EBay new aftermarket pumps with resevoir for around $200.Has anybody reading this post had good luck with an aftermarket pump? A mechanic warns me only a true Lexus PS pump can correctly deliver the proper (high) fuild pressure, long term, to the somewhat sensitive/demanding/costly PS rack.Like our 96 LS 400 but hate the power steering system design.I replaced the high pressure hose already, myself, using an aftermarket hose and so far so good. I replaced the pump oring under the resevoir but it my leak is from the pump body.Any advice on the pump issue? About 135,000 miles on the car.Thanks.

I have a leaky PS pump dripping on my newly installed,costly alternator.I'm quoted about $1,100($675 pump, balance labor) to replace it by Lexus dealers.One shop warns me not to replace a quality factory Lexus PS pump with a low cost aftermarket,used junkyard or rebuilt one from an auto parts store.I find on EBay new aftermarket pumps with resevoir for around $200.Has anybody reading this post had good luck with an aftermarket pump? A mechanic warns me only a true Lexus PS pump can correctly deliver the proper (high) fuild pressure, long term, to the somewhat sensitive/demanding/costly PS rack.Like our 96 LS 400 but hate the power steering system design.I replaced the high pressure hose already, myself, using an aftermarket hose and so far so good. I replaced the pump oring under the resevoir but it my leak is from the pump body.Any advice on the pump issue? About 135,000 miles on the car.Thanks.

Yes the Ebay rebuilt pumps have been known to have the seal blow again and dump on the alternator. Do yourself a favor and buy the Lex pump ask for a 20% discount for internet sales. these fine folks will give it to you.

http://www.lexusofbrookfield.com/

I replaced mine with an aftermarket unit from Advance Auto. It died about a year later, but mainly because I didn't fully flush all the old, incorrect fluid out of the system, the previous owner poured it full of PS fluid. It came with a lifetime warranty so it was no cost to replace and has been fine for three years now, about 35k miles. It was $129 and tax. The main concern is to make sure the nasty fluid is cleaned out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-LS400-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-RESERVOIR-90-97-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f24968c5QQitemZ300417640645QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

got 1 of these pumps a couple of years ago and never had a problem since. You can actually get 1 cheaper than this 1. I got mine for $115 plus shipping. a mechanic rebuilt mine and I sold it in ebay for more than I bought this 1 for. So technically I made money on the deal. What you must do after you get a new pump is maintanence at least once a year. do a flush and most importantly make sure you clean the Solenoid when you do the flush. good luck.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12024&hl=

I replaced mine about 3 months ago with an aftermarket one from Advanced Auto Parts. If I remember right, maybe only $100 or so after I returned the core. Only driven maybe 1000 miles in that time, but no problems so far. I made sure to flush out all the old fluid and replaced with new. Took me about half a day to replace after removing the serpentine belt and the pump itself. The tricky part is one of the 3 bolts that hold the resevoir in place. It is tucked under a plastic covering that makes it difficult to remove and replace. There also was a tricky second bolt on the pump, it is tucked all the way in back by the engine ( i was using a 98 manual for my 94 and it didn't show that bolt) If you at all a little mechanically inclined, I would do the job yourself and save alot of $$$$. Good luck.

I rebuilt my power steering pump using genuine Lexus parts for less than $35. It wasn't very difficult.

I studied a website which shows a guy taking apart a 1994 LS 400 PS pump.He reports he had to weld together a puller rig to pull out the main seal or shaft.This as he did not have the Lexus factory puller.How did you pull out the main shaft/seal/bearing? It does look like a very tight seal or fit.Thanks.

I rebuilt my power steering pump using genuine Lexus parts for less than $35. It wasn't very difficult.

I studied a website which shows a guy taking apart a 1994 LS 400 PS pump.He reports he had to weld together a puller rig to pull out the main seal or shaft.This as he did not have the Lexus factory puller.How did you pull out the main shaft/seal/bearing? It does look like a very tight seal or fit.Thanks.

I took off the opposing side and just beat it out with a hammer, it was quite easy.

I took off the opposing side and just beat it out with a hammer, it was quite easy.

So noted. I may give it a try and save over $1,000.Thanks Thermactor.

Hi

I replaced the PS unit on my 96 LS with an aftermarket it has lasted 3 years. It needs to be replaced again!! Oh well

Good Luck!

Paul

Here is the removal, rebuilding, & installation procedure taken directly from the 1992 LS400 Repair Manual

Hope this helps someone that may want to rebuild their power steering pump rather than have the stealership take a $ 1000 or so from you...

5ofakind

Thanks, there is no substitute for knowledge.

Here is the removal, rebuilding, & installation procedure taken directly from the 1992 LS400 Repair Manual

Hope this helps someone that may want to rebuild their power steering pump rather than have the stealership take a $ 1000 or so from you...

5ofakind

Like I said above, $129 gets you a reman unit that works fine as long as the system is properly flushed. Anyone paying more than that just likes to be abused.

I'm not sure how much like a PS pump you might find on a Camry are but I think that I will go down to the local junkyard and look around. Once in awhile they get in a LS and I might get lucky, otherwise taking apart a Camry pump ought to give me an idea of what I am looking at inside the pump. I saw on lexs website a tutorial on how to rebuild these and I saw the part REM mentioned about the welding. Worse that can happen is that I wind up with a rebuilt Camry power steering pump that I can give to a friend or sell on craigslist.

I often experiment at taking things apart at junkyards. I pay $1 to get in and I swear it is more fun than Busch Gardens. Good way to learn by breaking stuff on junk cars than on my own.

The pumps really don't wear out, only certain seals leak. A seepage leak from the factory original pump I have stopped after I cleaned the steering rack solenoid filter screen (which reduced system fluid pressures) and replaced the O-ring on the PS reservoir (ring that seals the pump to the reservoir). I bought a pump "reseal kit" from a Lexus dealer for about $25 and that is how I obstained the needed O-ring.