Need Help Choosing Between 2 Ls400's

If given the choice between

97 LS under 50 K

00 LS just under 100K

Both just under 10K

Are the enhancements (quieter ride, more HP etc.) to the '00 that much better than the '97 that I should consider the higher mileage later model for the same $$ as the older lower mileage car. I only need 1 car, otherwise I'd want them both...

Just looking for someone to tell me there is or isn't a big difference in drive-ability, performance or apparent quality...

Thanks.

If it were me I'd choose the newer higher mileage car given all other variables equal (maintenance records, vehicle condition, etc) I am not a Lexus pro or anything (yet) but for the same amount of money I'd rather have newer and lose out on the mileage since Lexus are notorious for 250k+ in mileage overall.

I like the look of the 98-00's more than the 95-97 personally. The wood steering wheel, HIDs, newer headlights etc. are a nice touch along with the added horsepower and smoother ride, I feel it would be a no brainer. Others may disagree?

I just bought a 98 with 70k and I love it. Of course I got it for a LOVE IT price too :)

Good luck with the buy.

If given the choice between

97 LS under 50 K

00 LS just under 100K

Both just under 10K

Are the enhancements (quieter ride, more HP etc.) to the '00 that much better than the '97 that I should consider the higher mileage later model for the same $$ as the older lower mileage car. I only need 1 car, otherwise I'd want them both...

Just looking for someone to tell me there is or isn't a big difference in drive-ability, performance or apparent quality...

Thanks.

well for whatever it is worth, here is my 2 cents...

I have a 96 and a 99, same as those two.. my 96 has 155k on it and is probably the "stronger" car, tuff and solid and very dependible....

BUT, the 99 is soft AND solid, and is also dependible, it has 139k.... probably just not as strong as the 96.

To get in them and go somewhere, the 99 is my choice. I enjoy the more plush comfort..

SO, if they are the same $$, get the 2000, 50k, 100k, 150k who cares, you cant wear one out, you just have to change every so often...

post-5365-127155762402_thumb.jpg

It is not just because I own a 2000 LS400 but I have to tell you that there is a huge difference between the 95-97 LS and 98-00 LS. The 95-97 LS was a transitional model with the newer larger body but with mechanicals (engine and transmission) more like the gen 1 90-94 LS400.

Of the 98-00 LS400, the 2000 LS400 is particularly desireable for several reasons. If you buy a 2000 LS400 built in about the last half of the model year, it will have many of the issues of the earlier 98-00 LS400 addressed at the factory -- particularly issues with the tilt/telescope steering wheel. Also, the 2000 LS400 was the first year of "brake assist" -- a little miracle feature that senses an emergency stop and automatically increases braking force.

And of course, you aren't going to get HID discharge headlights, "snow mode", and vehicle stability control (VSC) on a 97 LS400. VSC literally takes control of the throttle and brakes to prevent you from losing control in wet and snowy weather -- IMO, it is one of the most important safety features ever offered and we would never buy another car with out it. The 98-00 LS400 with it's 5-speed transmission and more powerful engine is much quicker and has better fuel economy than the 95-97 LS which is certainly no slouch.

My 2000 LS400 is like new at 121,000 miles but it has been perfectly maintained per the maintenance schedule and no expense has been spared.

If the 2000 LS400 you are considering has been properly maintained, including having the full expensive 90,000 mile service, then I would go with it. The 97 LS could be a nice car too, but you will be missing out on lots of cool technology.

Wow! Looks like it's unanimous...will keep you posted after acting within next 2 weeks. Thank you for taking the time to dispense your Lexus wisdom everyone.

Is there any way to get a 2000 that has far less miles? I bought my LS400 with 100,000 miles on it .... and it is a great car and all .... but at that age there are beginning to be maintenance issues to think about that perhaps you would not have to think about in a car with only 50,000 miles? I think I would pay a little extra for a lower milage [newer] model, making sure that the car was really maintained well. If the owner was doing a transmission flush / filter kit about every 30,000 miles ... then he was probably up on all the other stuff as well .....

personally that is what I would look for now that I know what I know about these really nice cars ..... if I had it all over to do again.

best of luck to you ....