94 Es300 Instrument Cluster Needle Removal

caji

Hi Guys,

I need some advice on how to remove the needles on the instrument cluster. I thought that all I need to do is pull the needles. I tried that, but I am afraid to pull it harder. How hard shall I pull it? I am afraid it might break something inside. Before I do some damage I need some help from you guys.

Thanks Kingjack for responding. Yes, I was able to remove it using a small nail claw. Once you have remove it the first time it will be easy to remove it the second time with your hand. I am replacing the gauge needle and Ebay is selling it for $34. Since the instrument cluster is out, I am also changing the back lighting for my speedometer and the RPM. It requires 8 bulbs. The existing bulbs are incandescent I am changing it with LED. I just bought from Ebay 10 sets of T5 74 super white 3 chip smd LED for $12.99 free shipping and also bought 10pcs of LED white for $3.79 free shipping. I will try both and see which is better. I bet the expensive one is better.

For those of you who wants to remove the instrument cluster, go Lexucan post. The post will tell you what to do and what not to do. I made a mistake of moving the car inside the garage without the instrument cluster connected, now I have to reset the airbag light. I still don't know how. I will try to disconnect the battery and reconnect after 30 minute and see what happens.

Talkin bout the same issue mine's went out to man.... :( went to the salvage yard got one but most the bulbs out on that one to ( problem with the salvage yards on parts like that you just dont know what you gettin) so i ended up sending mines off to this place i seen on line and they repaired all but the engine light. cost bout 150.00 <_< but i still need to get a bulb for my engine light which i dont think be hard to do. I have Learnt that that whole cluster have lot's of contact screws and you can mess up the head if you dont tighten 'em up enuff.... kinda pain in the a** :pirate: but be patient you find the right one

Thanks Kingjack for responding. Yes, I was able to remove it using a small nail claw. Once you have remove it the first time it will be easy to remove it the second time with your hand. I am replacing the gauge needle and Ebay is selling it for $34. Since the instrument cluster is out, I am also changing the back lighting for my speedometer and the RPM. It requires 8 bulbs. The existing bulbs are incandescent I am changing it with LED. I just bought from Ebay 10 sets of T5 74 super white 3 chip smd LED for $12.99 free shipping and also bought 10pcs of LED white for $3.79 free shipping. I will try both and see which is better. I bet the expensive one is better.

For those of you who wants to remove the instrument cluster, go Lexucan post. The post will tell you what to do and what not to do. I made a mistake of moving the car inside the garage without the instrument cluster connected, now I have to reset the airbag light. I still don't know how. I will try to disconnect the battery and reconnect after 30 minute and see what happens.

yea can be a pain take your time. just bought new needles for my car and put them in. the speedometer wasn't working after i replaced it but then i noticed i forgot to put a screw back in its fine now. i gotta reopen it though because a lot of the bulbs aren't lighting even though i replaced them with led's i probably have them plugged in the wrong way so gotta look at lexucans tutorial and change it accordingly.

:huh: as far as those bulbs go, really cant put them in the wrong way see when you turn the bulb just pull it out those slots i believe prevents them goin in any other way and what i learnt it's a series of bulbs on some that may just light up just one indicator on your panel. Telling you it's a major pain be better to just go head and pay to have it done not really for a novice at all trust i mess up 2 clusters :chairshot: but if you get yours done can you take a pic so i can see it? :)

:huh: as far as those bulbs go, really cant put them in the wrong way see when you turn the bulb just pull it out those slots i believe prevents them goin in any other way and what i learnt it's a series of bulbs on some that may just light up just one indicator on your panel. Telling you it's a major pain be better to just go head and pay to have it done not really for a novice at all trust i mess up 2 clusters :chairshot: but if you get yours done can you take a pic so i can see it? :)

I don't have the LED bulbs yet. But when I install this in the socket I will make sure I know which is positive and negative point in my cluster. A tester could easily determine the ground point which will be my negative point. Mark that on the cluster and insert your socket accordingly. I don't know if the led bulb I am getting will indicate positive or negative point. If not, I will test the bulb through my battery to determine positive or negative point. I will post again when I am done with this.