Insurance Questions....

ArmyofOne

Army please do not get state mins. You do not understand what the coverage is even for if you are considering carring state mins because of the value of your car. The bi limits are important and carry at least 100/300/50 I don't care what you drive. This will not cost you that much more and trust me it will save you in the long run alot of money. I carry 250/500/200 and have a pup of 1,000,000 and sometimes wonder if that is enough. The only people that state mins. are for Is someone with nothing and who just needs to be legal and just doesn't care but about the cheapest thing. Army please listen to me on this. I just had a guy who had a 500,000 limit on his policy get sued for another 230,000 after his insurance company paid out the limit of 500000. The crazy thing is it was not that "bad" of an accident. YOU Do not want state mins and if you thought you had good coverage with geico because you had low deduct. And state mins you need a good review of your policies.

Army please do not get state mins. You do not understand what the coverage is even for if you are considering carring state mins because of the value of your car. The bi limits are important and carry at least 100/300/50 I don't care what you drive. This will not cost you that much more and trust me it will save you in the long run alot of money. I carry 250/500/200 and have a pup of 1,000,000 and sometimes wonder if that is enough. The only people that state mins. are for Is someone with nothing and who just needs to be legal and just doesn't care but about the cheapest thing. Army please listen to me on this. I just had a guy who had a 500,000 limit on his policy get sued for another 230,000 after his insurance company paid out the limit of 500000. The crazy thing is it was not that "bad" of an accident. YOU Do not want state mins and if you thought you had good coverage with geico because you had low deduct. And state mins you need a good review of your policies.

ok, lol, I will take this advice. Yes, I do not really understand insurance. I carry 100/300/50 right now. Maybe I should raise it then? I am not sure what WA state mins even are.

Lexi is so so right.

I carry 250/500/200 and have a pup of 1,000,000 and sometimes wonder if that is enough

This is exactly what I have. Its especially scary for me because I drive clients and their children around.

You're better off to keep your insurance in TX with a real insurance company than to move it to WA with some company nobody has ever heard of and reduce the coverage. You have to think about the viability of the company when it comes to paying claims. What if you hit someone and kill everybody in the car...is this "American Family" insurance going to be able to pay out that claim?

Its not like you have nothing anymore, you've got cash in the bank...going to buy a house at some point. You need to be protected.

If you need to save money, raise the deductibles don't lower the liability limits.

Lexi is so so right.

I carry 250/500/200 and have a pup of 1,000,000 and sometimes wonder if that is enough

This is exactly what I have. Its especially scary for me because I drive clients and their children around.

You're better off to keep your insurance in TX with a real insurance company than to move it to WA with some company nobody has ever heard of and reduce the coverage. You have to think about the viability of the company when it comes to paying claims. What if you hit someone and kill everybody in the car...is this "American Family" insurance going to be able to pay out that claim?

Its not like you have nothing anymore, you've got cash in the bank...going to buy a house at some point. You need to be protected.

If you need to save money, raise the deductibles don't lower the liability limits.

Well, raising the deductible is going to happen when I get home. What is a pup? I dont worry so much about what it costs me monthly anymore...but more what it costs long term. I suppose being 25 and having this kind of money is not nessecarily a good thing. I want to make sure I am protected, and do not want to be taken advantage of. I was not aware the insurance would cover me in a personal injury case, providing my coverage was sufficient. I thought the coverages were simply for property damages/hospital bills.

You guys are right. If anything I need to raise my coverage. I am going to have to call my agent when I get home and sort all of this out. Meantime, any other suggestions?

PUP is "Personal Umbrella Policy", and as the old saying goes, don't leave home without it. The $1,000,000 not only protects your liability on your car, but also your home and other vehicles that you may drive, to include motorcycles, boat trailers, etc. I have had one for at least 25 years in the state of California, Nebraska, and now Delaware. For the past 5 years my policy rate has stayed the same, $123 a year for the Umbrella Policy.. I have a home, car, pickup, and Harley. For clarification, the Umbrella is a coverall policy on top of the basic insurance you all ready have. In order to get an Umbrella policy, you generally have to carry basic liability of 250/500/250. Personally, I carry a slightly higher basic policy, as the rate on the basic was only about $14 more per year. You most likely will never have a need to cash in on this policy, but what a relief if you do. Also, your insurance company's lawyers are going to fight a claim much harder when they have $1,000,000 on the line than say $100,000 or $250,000. Raise your deductibles and you will start saving a few bucks to put toward that "PUP". On limited income, which as an ex-miltary member, I realize it could become a higher burden to pay, but in one accident you could lose everything you have, and will get in future years.

Yeah the umbrella policy is VERY cheap, I think mine is maybe $130 a year as well...

And most of the time it gives you a discount back on the auto policy too. Mine is $150.00 a year and it saves me about $40 a year on my auto.