What Service Do I Need

dranpsych

I got a 1995 LS400 that just hit 55,000 miles. The previous owner basically did oil and filter changes. The dealership was able to see the records from the past services (all which were from Lexus) and from that suggested that I have many things to change/replace/update since it is nearing 60,000 miles and has not had any things done other than the basic oil and filter changes. I'm always weary that they are just trying to get me to service more than I need so I thought I'd ask you all what I need to have done at this 55,000-60,000 mile mark.

Also, since I am outside of warranty, should I just go to another service shop (midas, etc...) to get things done. Lexus is quite expensive. Any places you recommend to take care of it. I wish I was more savy with cars, but I'll probably have to get most things done professionally.

thanks for any advice.

I got a 1995 LS400 that just hit 55,000 miles. The previous owner basically did oil and filter changes. The dealership was able to see the records from the past services (all which were from Lexus) and from that suggested that I have many things to change/replace/update since it is nearing 60,000 miles and has not had any things done other than the basic oil and filter changes. I'm always weary that they are just trying to get me to service more than I need so I thought I'd ask you all what I need to have done at this 55,000-60,000 mile mark.

Also, since I am outside of warranty, should I just go to another service shop (midas, etc...) to get things done. Lexus is quite expensive. Any places you recommend to take care of it. I wish I was more savy with cars, but I'll probably have to get most things done professionally.

thanks for any advice.

You have a similar problem as I did. You have to consider the age of your car, not the milage at this point. At a minimum, you need a Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement, all critical fluids (brake, transmission, differential & radiator) flushed and replaced, Strut Rods and Motor Mounts checked and possibly replaced if worn. Also get a 4 wheel alignment. Find a well recommended Lexus independent mechanic in your area, have him go thru your car and compare his assessment to the dealer's list. You don't have to do everything at once, but I assure you, most of the above will need to be done at a minimum,as you are way overdue. I have less miles then you (49K), but my car is a 1998 & hadn't had any major work done either in the 5 yrs I've had it. Struts & Mounts rubber were shot, TB was getting tattered & stringy and Water Pump was starting to leak a bit. So I'm glad I did all that when I did-now good for another 100K miles. There may be other things folks here may recommend you also do, but I do think these are the main heavy duty items that tend to wear out over time.

By finding a good independent Lexus mechanic, you will save 25-30% of the overall cost. Don't take such a nice car to Midas or Pep Boys. You'll get what you pay for. And make sure they use only OEM Lexus parts. Just one owner's take on it.