Need Guidance - Buy Cpo Es330 Or Es350?

Greetings,

Well we have decided to finally put our 1994 ES300 with 158K on it to bed and buy a replacement. Would appreciate any opinions you all have on the choice between the two cars below. I trust folks' advice here.

Either:

2006 ES330 with 32K

or

2007 ES350 with 65K

Both CPO, both around $21K, same colors in and out. Both very nice cars.

The 350 is a nicer car, more powerful, better styling and one year younger but with "high" miles (is that considered high mileage?)

The 330 is also a very nice car, not as "cool" but has half the miles of the other...however it's one year older.

Is a three year old Lexus with 65K miles (we would be covered until 100K under CPO warranty) just too many miles in too few years...would you go with the lower mile car even though it's a year older and your second choice of model?

Thanks, any opinions appreciated.

--mrb

I would go with the 2007 ES350. That mileage is nothing on that car, especially now that they have gone to hydraulic lifters and a cam chain. That removes a big maintenance hit in replacing the timing belt and having valves adjusted later. We put about 20k miles a year on our '97 ES - it's up to 234k with no major problems. It still runs like it's new.

I would go with the 2007 ES350. That mileage is nothing on that car, especially now that they have gone to hydraulic lifters and a cam chain. That removes a big maintenance hit in replacing the timing belt and having valves adjusted later. We put about 20k miles a year on our '97 ES - it's up to 234k with no major problems. It still runs like it's new.

Nice, keep talkin' my language! (I want the 350, but will be happy with either.) I didn't know that about the engine changes, thanks for your response mkeeney.

Anyone here able to comment on problems with rattle, tranny, others in the '07 350s...the first year of the model redesign? Have heard there were many cars that were returned...gulp! Thanks.

Or, a thread that discussing them, a search turns up too much extra, non-related stuff.

Styling and technology-wise, I'd go for the 350 without hesitation, but as Steve pointed out, the first model year for the 5th generation ES was plagued with quite a few potential issues. As far as the mileage is concerned, 65K is peanuts. Of course, my '93 ES is still purring along with 275K miles on the ODO, so little wonder I would think that. :rolleyes:

Styling and technology-wise, I'd go for the 350 without hesitation, but as Steve pointed out, the first model year for the 5th generation ES was plagued with quite a few potential issues. As far as the mileage is concerned, 65K is peanuts. Of course, my '93 ES is still purring along with 275K miles on the ODO, so little wonder I would think that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments. I did speak with two sales guys at dealerships near me in Chicago and both said this was an issue but nothing to worry about. It would likely show up prior to 100K miles and I'm covered until then.

One told me that the issue was the tranny was a closed system and initially they were not being filled sufficiently with tranny fluid and that could only be detected with the proper equipment. Once it was decided this WAS an issue with the 07 engines a bulletin was issued and repairs made and the problem went away. Does that ring true with your guys' knowledge of the history of this issue?

Man, I want this car, it's beautiful, but trying very hard to be rational and objective. I had the tranny on my 94 ES rebuilt due to failure at about 130K.

THANK YOU to all who provided opinions.

We bought a black '07 ES350 with 59K miles and the full CPO yesterday for a couple grand under blue book. Rides great, beautiful, I'm thrilled.

Thanks again everyone.

EXCELLENT!

Congratulations! And of course, you'll want to show your appreciation for the help by posting lots of pics! That is, if we can ever get you out from behind the steering wheel of your sexy new ride! :P