Owner Reviews Of Rx 300/350 Or 400H/450H? Help!

Hi there everyone,

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I have my eye on the RX 350 and the RX 450h. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with their own experience with owning either of these models of the car and whether the recent Toyota drama has affected your opinion of your car/noticed any problems with it? Does it make more sense to go with the hybrid model? I'm trying to decide between the RX or the Acura MDX, but I really like the RX. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there everyone,

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I have my eye on the RX 350 and the RX 450h. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with their own experience with owning either of these models of the car and whether the recent Toyota drama has affected your opinion of your car/noticed any problems with it? Does it make more sense to go with the hybrid model? I'm trying to decide between the RX or the Acura MDX, but I really like the RX. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We've had our RX400h for about 2.5 years. We've been very happy with it. The only problem we had was a stress crack in the windshield shortly after we bought it in 2007. Otherwise it's been trouble free. The OEM Michelin tires that came on it are terrible in the snow. The payback for the hybrid based on the increased gas mileage is pretty long. We originally bought it because the wife got to use the HOV lanes in her commute. We've had it on a number a fairly long road trips and it is very good for that. Very comfortable, good ride, plenty of room for all your gear. I used it for a guys golf trip to Myrtle Beach. It fit 4 of us with all our bags and clubs and the guys in the back seat were plenty comfortable as it has quite a bit of room.

If you need "true" AWD, the hybrid might not be the best choice. The rear wheels are only driven by the rear electric motor. It even tells you in the manual that the car should not be taken off-road as serious off-road use could damage the hybrid system. I have heard from people that live in the great white north that they had no problems with it in the snow but they typically use dedicated winter tires.

I think you'll find that the GREAT majority of people here are very happy with their RX hybrids.

Our RX400h has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned, including a Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, and various other makes and models. Since we bought our RX400h in April of 2005, we have not had one problem with it. And while coworkers who bought RX330s have averaged 16 MPG in typical heavy San Diego traffic, we've been averaging 24 - 26 MPG. Hybrids really shine in big city environments and payback can be achieved in as little as 4-5 years. We are very glad that we chose a hybrid over a non-hybrid, especially with gas prices being as high as they are and have been over the years.

Needless to say, the hysteria about unintended acceleration that was fueled by the media has not adversely affected our opion of Lexus and Toyota vehicles in the least.

drive them both, once you feel the power of the hybrid with its electric motors available to give instant power at any speed, coupled with the seamlessly smooth CVT transmission, and the better gas mileage and 30% fewer emmissions i think the 450h will speak for itself. the improvements for 2010 include better seats, wider track, more efficient engine with an even more smooth transition between engine start and stop while driving, no shock absorber towers protruding in the back cargo area, hidden rear wiper,improved suspension, and a vastly improved media interface with the GPS, where trips can even be emailed to your vehicle and entered into the system that way, and i think a heads up display where your gps is projected onto the windshield in front of you to name just some changes. i also believe the 2010 450h uses synthetic oil in the engine for longer mileage between changes, and better lubrication. as already mentioned our vehicles have been reliable and for my money toyota has the most experience with hybrids in the current market. the toyota issues with their other cars can only work in your favor regarding purchase price and 0% interest currently being offered.

If the 2010's weren't so BUTT ugly it would be my pick... IMO

The 2010 Rx350 and Rx450h are also slower than the 07-09 Rx350 and Rx400h, there's no increase in performance.

i think what happened is the car got at least 300 lbs heavier and this ate up the performance even tho i think they got a few more hp out of the engine and at least one more mpg on the epa rating, it seems like the electric motors give more assist on this model, might just be my impression, would have to drive it a little more to be sure.