Anyone Confirm The Stability Control Is Ok With Other Years Of Gx

hammer008

state your year of vehicle and what you experienced with vsc.

I had a 05 GX470 and the stability system in that car is top notch. I have never spin out in that car even in snow. There is definitely something wrong with the new GX, the way it spun out, it almost seems like the ability system was not on during the test.

I found out how great it works on my 04 GX 470 this winter in New Hampshire. I hit a patch of ice on a pretty sharp downhill curve on a road. The VSC instrument light came on very quickly and I think there was a chime, as the vehicle slid toward the road edge. All of a sudden I was going straight again. The GX didn't give me time to try and drive out of the slide manually. The vehicle felt different as it was happening, but I can't explain it any better. I used to slide all the time in my old BMW, so I'm pretty good at manually correcting a slide. I'm sure this time I would have hit the curb before being able to correct without the VSC. I was also driving very slowly, no more than 15 mph.

I have an 08 GX, but don't drive it aggressively enough to comment on its stability. However, I generally dislike all the ABS, ATC, and VSC systems. I learned to drive during winters in the Great Lakes region, and know how to control a skidding automobile, and how to brake and accelerate on slick surfaces. When these automated systems begin interfering with an experienced driver's normal reflexes, it would seem over compensation could be a problem. Designing an automatic system that compensates for a wide range of simultaneous driver reactions would seem difficult when the computer and driver are both trying to react to each other. Cars are being designed today for unskilled idiots. Does the owner's manual instruct the driver, when having lost control of the vehicle, to release the steering wheel, cover his/her eyes, scream loudly, and wait for the computer to take over?

I have an 08 GX, but don't drive it aggressively enough to comment on its stability. However, I generally dislike all the ABS, ATC, and VSC systems. I learned to drive during winters in the Great Lakes region, and know how to control a skidding automobile, and how to brake and accelerate on slick surfaces. When these automated systems begin interfering with an experienced driver's normal reflexes, it would seem over compensation could be a problem. Designing an automatic system that compensates for a wide range of simultaneous driver reactions would seem difficult when the computer and driver are both trying to react to each other. Cars are being designed today for unskilled idiots. Does the owner's manual instruct the driver, when having lost control of the vehicle, to release the steering wheel, cover his/her eyes, scream loudly, and wait for the computer to take over?

Are you able to brake each wheel individually and cut torque to each wheel individually within milliseconds and monitor each wheel's rotation over 100 times a second? If not, then you cannot control a car better than the computer in an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1st Gen GX470 (03-09) is NOT affected.. Only the new GX460 is affected. If you are having VSC problems, then there's something wrong with your particular GX470 unit.

Are you able to brake each wheel individually and cut torque to each wheel individually within milliseconds and monitor each wheel's rotation over 100 times a second? If not, then you cannot control a car better than the computer in an emergency.

GMan -- No, I can't do any of that. Since buying the GX, I've been practicing covering my eyes, screaming, and hoping that that Bangalore software geek's hex code will save me, just like all the other girly men out there.