Popping Or Clicking In Steering Wheel

Hello All,

I've recently noticed in our '08 RX350 that while accelerating from a stop, and while at slow speed while turning, a "popping, or clicking" in the wheel. There is no noise that I can hear. The only way I can describe it is similar to what I've felt in the past when a CV joint was failing. Perhaps something loose in the suspension or steering setup? I've checked under the car, and nothing obvious like torn CV boots or any other signs of wear are visible.

Thanks

Hello All,

I've recently noticed in our '08 RX350 that while accelerating from a stop, and while at slow speed while turning, a "popping, or clicking" in the wheel. There is no noise that I can hear. The only way I can describe it is similar to what I've felt in the past when a CV joint was failing. Perhaps something loose in the suspension or steering setup? I've checked under the car, and nothing obvious like torn CV boots or any other signs of wear are visible.

Thanks

I'm guessing it may still be under warranty? I'd take it to the dealership and have them check it out. Be relentless...don't let them tell you it's "normal" or they "can't duplicate the problem". At least you'll have a record of repeated attempts to get it remedied if related parts fail after the warranty expires.

I'm guessing it may still be under warranty? I'd take it to the dealership and have them check it out. Be relentless...don't let them tell you it's "normal" or they "can't duplicate the problem". At least you'll have a record of repeated attempts to get it remedied if related parts fail after the warranty expires.

It is and I guess I better. In the last day or so it has become more pronounced while turning the wheel, especially at slow speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Took it in to dealer, test drove with a technician. It felt to him as though what I was feeling was a little play in the springs that keep tension on the steering assembly in place after it's adjusted. Perhaps too some play in the shaft where there is a coupling designed to crush in a head-on impact? The 2010 loaner I'm driving has the same feel, although much less pronounced.

Sound reasonable?