More Bad News For Toyota

The G Man

Wishful thinking, Blake! Those Siennas are just suffering from potentially rusty spare tire holder cables. No big deal there. I need more brake pedal / gas pedal scares in the news....

However, if a car comes equipped with a safety feature, it ought to work properly.

I agree completely...and there will be a computer update that will fix the issue very simply. This is hardy a "safety emergency, don't buy!" scenario though. CR never even did that with the Explorer and the Firestone tires! The Explorer was always a "Best Buy".

Toyota's sales just came out...and they're not bad actually.

• 1 month later...

You know what I find interesting? Why all-of-the-sudden is the GX being targeted?

Is there not some kind of safety test that the Government does before a car is even deemed salable, or am I mistaken?

I always thought that there were many tests that the Government does to insure safer cars before they are sold. So if Lexus initially passed all the tests and were allowed to sell the GX, then how is this Lexus' fault and why is this specific issue not being addressed? This whole Toyota/Lexus hysteria I feel is nothing more than a fabricated crisis that has intentions to smear Toyota and to try and help the domestic brands sell more cars. It really is a sad attempt, but stays true to recent American business practices: If you can't keep up with the competition, smear them! The only thing is in this case Toyota has to deal with GM, NHTSA, The Media, Obama, and Congress trying to smear their name. Its funny though that Toyota's sales really have not been affected by much from all this. Just goes to show you how strong the Toyota name really is.

You know what I find interesting? Why all-of-the-sudden is the GX being targeted?

Is there not some kind of safety test that the Government does before a car is even deemed salable, or am I mistaken?

I always thought that there were many tests that the Government does to insure safer cars before they are sold. So if Lexus initially passed all the tests and were allowed to sell the GX, then how is this Lexus' fault and why is this specific issue not being addressed? This whole Toyota/Lexus hysteria I feel is nothing more than a fabricated crisis that has intentions to smear Toyota and to try and help the domestic brands sell more cars. It really is a sad attempt, but stays true to recent American business practices: If you can't keep up with the competition, smear them! The only thing is in this case Toyota has to deal with GM, NHTSA, The Media, Obama, and Congress trying to smear their name. Its funny though that Toyota's sales really have not been affected by much from all this. Just goes to show you how strong the Toyota name really is.

Sorry pal, but you're dead wrong. Toyota has suffered from a culture of deception and secrecy for years, and it took these so-called gas pedal and floor mat issues to bring it out into the open. Sounds as if you need to go back to the January/February timeframe and review the circumstances as they unfolded. Toyota executives (beginning with Mr. Toyoda himself) would not have been profusely apologizing, promising culture changes, and agreeing to millions of dollars in fines without so much as a whimper if this entire saga was nothing more than a supposed smear campaign....