Alternator

fobster

My 93 SC300 was flashing the "battery" when the A/C was on or the power steering kicked in. The battery was still good, but the alternator was not working. I went to a local alternator shop to get it fixed instead of buying a new one. He said that the regulator was out. The fixed alternator was working until the A/C or the power-steering was needed. The alternator shop fixed it again, same problem. Again the regulator was out. He tested the amps on the alternator, and it only put out 75 instead of 100.

Several questions: What does the regulator do within the alternator? Regulate the voltage?

Has the shop fixed the alternator or do I have some electrical problem that is causing the alternator to go bust?

I think that the a/c and power steering is demanding more than the alternator currently is putting out which would mean that the shop didn't fix the alternator correctly. FYI, my car has no additions; stock system..

My 93 SC300 was flashing the "battery" when the A/C was on or the power steering kicked in. The battery was still good, but the alternator was not working. I went to a local alternator shop to get it fixed instead of buying a new one. He said that the regulator was out. The fixed alternator was working until the A/C or the power-steering was needed. The alternator shop fixed it again, same problem. Again the regulator was out. He tested the amps on the alternator, and it only put out 75 instead of 100.

Several questions: What does the regulator do within the alternator? Regulate the voltage?

Has the shop fixed the alternator or do I have some electrical problem that is causing the alternator to go bust?

I think that the a/c and power steering is demanding more than the alternator currently is putting out which would mean that the shop didn't fix the alternator correctly. FYI, my car has no additions; stock system..

the alternator is an important part of your power system. you would highly recommend that you break down and purchase a new one instead of fixing the regulator. the regulator should regulate voltage and distribute it evenly accross the board when other units of your car demand for power. the more units that require power, the more volts your alternator has to shell out. but if the regulator is out of wack, then it's not going to distribute properly and that's when your battery lights comes in telling you that your power is being drained. so you should buy a new alternator and chuck that one. good luck

What is a good price for a new alternator? The dealer asked told me $555 + s/h + labor. Additional S/h is common due to the location, Guam. One of the military service center said, $350 which sounds pretty cheap..

Is there a possiblity that a/c or some other electrical work is causing the alternator to break down? In that case, the new alternator doesn't do me any good.

I didn't see any power steering leak.

I paid $203.37 for a Denso rebuilt. It was rebuilt by Denso, so I was assured it is top notch quality. I was going to install it myself, but then I called around for the hell of it, and Pep Boys quoted me $61.00 to install. So I said what the heck!! So, for a total of $264.37 I was back up and running.

I paid $203.37 for a Denso rebuilt. It was rebuilt by Denso, so I was assured it is top notch quality. I was going to install it myself, but then I called around for the hell of it, and Pep Boys quoted me $61.00 to install. So I said what the heck!! So, for a total of $264.37 I was back up and running.

around 250 for the alternator is pretty good. they're not cheap. but it's one of those must things. so make sure it's new or rebuilt by denso because they practically make almost everything. good luck.