Door Lock Actuator

rxr300houston

Hi,

I have seen some great comments on how to install a universal door lock actuator. I took of my LR door panel today to see and get a feel of what needs to be done. The messages mention a 2 wire installation.

My question: The origonal actuator has 4 wires, what are the additional two wires for? If I use the two wire universal actuator, will the lock/unlock switch still function from the drivers door? What functions will be lost if I go to the two wire type?

Thank you,

MBP

Hi,

I have seen some great comments on how to install a universal door lock actuator. I took of my LR door panel today to see and get a feel of what needs to be done. The messages mention a 2 wire installation.

My question: The origonal actuator has 4 wires, what are the additional two wires for? If I use the two wire universal actuator, will the lock/unlock switch still function from the drivers door? What functions will be lost if I go to the two wire type?

Thank you,

MBP

MBP- There are plenty of instructions and good pictures on this forum and the other popular Lexus forum. What you are doing is "piggy-backing" the "universal" actuator on to help the "old helpless" door lock actuator that can no longer do it's job because the little 2 cent brushes in the motor have worn out. DO NOT remove any part of the existing system!!! I have done several of these and it is actually a pretty simple operation if you have tools and any mechanical ability at all. If you have NEITHER of these I wouldn't attempt the job, or at least find someone with those and the ability to follow directions. You only "piggyback" the 2 actuator wires (often blue and green) on to the blue/yellow tracer & the blue/red tracer. Blue goes to B/Y tracer & Grn. goes to B/R tracer. It's that simple! Everything works just like it did from the factory. NO functions lost at all.