2000 Ls400 High Speed Vibration

sar127

First I was having a vibration problem at lower speeds like 45 or 55.

I went to balance the tires, and Discount Tire found a problem with one tire so they replaced it. When it still wouldn't balance, they said that the wheel was actually bent, so fine, we switched it out with the spare.

Now the problem is MUCH better, but I still have a vibration that occurs between 70-80 mph and its getting really annoying as 70mph is the avg speed of traffic on the freeway.

I had them rebalance all the tires and swap them around, and still nothing. I could be wrong, but it feels like its coming from both the car and the steering wheel.

This happened once before - Discount balanced my tires several times over and I still had this persistent vibration. Paid Lexus to balance it and they said one of my tires were not "true" and to get it replaced. After I did that, all was fine. I have no clue why I bought another set from Discount after that!! ... oh yea, now I remember, cuz it was only $300 for a set of michelins.

But the point of that story is bassically to ask, if untrue tires is my problem again, how do I find out before I have to go fight with Discount again? I don't know if they have the "true-ing" machine that Lexus does, they jus use the balancing machine.

I went to balance the tires, and Discount Tire found a problem with one tire so they replaced it. When it still wouldn't balance, they said that the wheel was actually bent, so fine, we switched it out with the spare.

Now the problem is MUCH better, but I still have a vibration that occurs between 70-80 mph and its getting really annoying as 70mph is the avg speed of traffic on the freeway.

I had them rebalance all the tires and swap them around, and still nothing. I could be wrong, but it feels like its coming from both the car and the steering wheel.

This happened once before - Discount balanced my tires several times over and I still had this persistent vibration. Paid Lexus to balance it and they said one of my tires were not "true" and to get it replaced. After I did that, all was fine. I have no clue why I bought another set from Discount after that!! ... oh yea, now I remember, cuz it was only $300 for a set of michelins.

But the point of that story is bassically to ask, if untrue tires is my problem again, how do I find out before I have to go fight with Discount again? I don't know if they have the "true-ing" machine that Lexus does, they jus use the balancing machine.

I had same problem with my 2005 430. After much effort on my part, Lexus finally diagnosed drive shaft problem-replaced drive shaft and now car is smooth as silk at all speeds.

Follow this to start http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info14.htm

Read this http://www.aa1car.com/library/tires2.htm

If your tire guy doesn't have a runout gauge then you need to find a shop that does. this is a must to do it right and to make sure your wheels and tires are OK. :cheers:

Have your strut rod/bar bushings checked. They seem to last an average of 75,000 miles on a 98-00 LS400 although some have found them worn out by around 40,000 miles. There have been numerous past threads about this issue. As I mentioned in some of them, I had my tires balanced over and over by different shops including a custom wheel shop until the Lexus dealer alignment tech found the problem was caused by the worn strut bar bushings. After the strut bar assemblies were replaced, the vibrations at highway speeds completely vanished -- it was like a miracle.

You might want to search past threads. I posted a link in one of them to an article in an online magazine that explains why the strut bar bushings on these cars wear out so quickly.

Have your strut rod/bar bushings checked. They seem to last an average of 75,000 miles on a 98-00 LS400 although some have found them worn out by around 40,000 miles. There have been numerous past threads about this issue. As I mentioned in some of them, I had my tires balanced over and over by different shops including a custom wheel shop until the Lexus dealer alignment tech found the problem was caused by the worn strut bar bushings. After the strut bar assemblies were replaced, the vibrations at highway speeds completely vanished -- it was like a miracle.

You might want to search past threads. I posted a link in one of them to an article in an online magazine that explains why the strut bar bushings on these cars wear out so quickly.

Totally agree with this prognosis on the Strut Rods. Had mine done a few weeks ago (posted elsewhere here) and brother! did that make a HUGE difference. My car was pulling to the left, and sure as hell, while both bushings were shot, the left one was even worse. Mechanic showed them to me after removal. Rubber had cracked when he inserted a screwdriver and wiggled it around. Best money you could spend to correct this vibration thing, and this item is often overlooked. Now when I let go of the wheel, the car stays straight as an arrow with zero vibration.

Just out of curosity, what kind of tires(specifically), how many miles on them, and how old are they. When the struts go, the car pulls more than it vibrates.

Strut bar not Struts.Big bar with big rubber support in the front attached. LS doesn't have Struts is has Shocks. Cheap suspensions have Struts. As in MacPherson strut. They should be replace by 80K they all go by then. Lower ball joints should be replaced around 100K.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut

Oddly BMW uses MacPherson struts, but not on the 7 series.

If you replace the bars and your vibration goes away you just masked the vibration problem you need to get the wheels and tires right first.

If you replace the bars and your vibration goes away you just masked the vibration problem you need to get the wheels and tires right first.

Huh? How does one "mask a vibration problem"?

By tighting up the suspension you could mask vibrations. Rule #1 get the wheels and tires right first when fighting vibrations.

By tighting up the suspension you could mask vibrations. Rule #1 get the wheels and tires right first when fighting vibrations.

I have to disagree. It is impossible to "mask vibrations" by fixing suspension problems. If a vibration was caused by a suspension problem and fixing the suspension problem eliminated the vibration, then the cause of that vibration problem has been fixed. Causes of vibrations are independent -- fixing any one cause of vibrations can not mask a vibration caused by a completely different problem.

1990LS400, what did the bushing replacement cost you?

Thanks,

Micah

$582.06 parts and labor, not including tax, at a Lexus dealer in May, 2007. Probably would have been less expensive at the indie Lexus repair shop I usually use but I didn't have time to take my car their before going on a road trip.

yes but the OP states it is a problem at 70-80mph only. That implies some sort of balance issue that goes into resonance at that speed. I would think sloppy bushings would have other symptoms than just vibration at high speed.

Either:

1. out of balance wheels
  2. warped or bent rims(making precise balance not possible)
  3. mis aligned rotor (not fitting flush with hub, maybe debris on face where rotor and hub meet)
  4. warped rotor (although you would see brake pulsation with that)

I would think sloppy bushings would have other symptoms than just vibration at high speed.

Except for a little sloppiness in the steering which I didn't realized until the strut bar bushings were replaced, the high speed vibration was the only sign of a problem when my strut bar bushings were finally replaced around 83,000 miles after about 6-8,0000 of worsening vibrations -- no clunks or other suspension noises, rotors and brakes were fine -- front brake pads had been replaced for the first time and rotors turned at just over 71,000 miles, rims were and still are perfect. My 00 LS is now at 122,000 miles and still vibration free. I'll probably be replacing the strut bars and bushings for a second time at between 150K and 160K miles.

I have to disagree. It is impossible to "mask vibrations" by fixing suspension problems. If a vibration was caused by a suspension problem and fixing the suspension problem eliminated the vibration, then the cause of that vibration problem has been fixed. Causes of vibrations are independent -- fixing any one cause of vibrations can not mask a vibration caused by a completely different problem.

I think that is what he is saying here. The vibration is still there as the bars do not cause vibration, he just can't feel it now.

Except for a little sloppiness in the steering which I didn't realized until the strut bar bushings were replaced, the high speed vibration was the only sign of a problem when my strut bar bushings were finally replaced around 83,000 miles after about 6-8,0000 of worsening vibrations -- no clunks or other suspension noises, rotors and brakes were fine -- front brake pads had been replaced for the first time and rotors turned at just over 71,000 miles, rims were and still are perfect. My 00 LS is now at 122,000 miles and still vibration free. I'll probably be replacing the strut bars and bushings for a second time at between 150K and 160K miles.