Insurance Claim Or Out Of Pocket

LexPaul

Hello Everyone,

I need some feedback on how the value of my Lexus (2009) would be impacted if I had my insurance pay for a small dent that I got when a car on the opposite side of the road kicked a rock near my fender. I got a few estimates and I can get it repaired for around $350.00, my insurance deductible is $100.00, should be simple, BUT if I go through my insurance it could be reported to CarFax or AutoCheck as an accident, decreasing my resale value. If, I paid for it myself, then I wouldn't have to worry about it. Has anyone ever been in this situation?? I have attached a few pics of the damage, the paint came off and touched it up some. Thanks for the feedback!!... :)

post-75362-127087674313_thumb.jpg

post-75362-127087675611_thumb.jpg

Check with your insurance agent to see if the damage can be covered under the comprehensive coverage of your policy -- should be handled like a windshield cracked by a flying rock and not affect your rates.

I doubt if a little body work is going to affect the resale value of your car. Probably the majority of used cars have had body work and no one can tell if it is done right. Many car dealers repaint the bumpers on used cars before they sell them -- nobody cares and it is even expected.

The problem is if its a claim it may show up on a Carfax as having been in an accident. It might...or it might not.

For $350 I would never turn that into insurance. I wouldn't even ask your insurance company because with many companies an inquiry counts as a claim...

The problem is if its a claim it may show up on a Carfax as having been in an accident. It might...or it might not.

For $350 I would never turn that into insurance. I wouldn't even ask your insurance company because with many companies an inquiry counts as a claim...

Yeah, that is what I'll probably do this week, just pay for it. I don't want to risk it. Thanks

Yeah you're right it is small and the potential risk is bigger than $350.00, and even something as small as this could probably show up as an accident, with no qualification. I'll get it fixed sometime this week. Thanks!!

Yeah, the cost is really better than the hassle of even asking my insurance about it and you're absolutely right even a simple inquiry can turn into a claim.... :cries: I decided to just go ahead this week and get it fixed. Thanks!!