Spark Plug Change Question

Jeffchs32

Hey guys,

Ive got a 99 rx300 and it is running horrible, has the blinking CEL on...

The code reads cylinder 1 misfire....

I am changing the spark plugs and ignition coils to start... But my question is how do you get to the 1, 3, 5 cylinders to change the plugs and coils? Do you have to take the intake off or does anyone have any advice on how to reach them?

Thanks guys!!!

You can change them without removing the intake, I suggest a 2 inch quarter inch drive for access to the plugs after removing the coil packs. removing the air box (near the battery and intake hose gives you a little more room. If you have big hands, it is tougher. Do NOt under any circumstance use Bosch plugs....Stick with NGK or Denso iridium plugs. The plugs are probably not bad if you have under 130k miles. The coil packs do fail. You could switch the one for number one with say one on the front and see if the cel codes move. If they do than just replace that coil pack. The back plugs are not a pleasant experience but are possible with patient. Also when you pull the coil packs use a flashlight and look down the bore to see if you have corrosion...This can cause their failure. Good luck.

Bosch plugs tend to have problems and don't run as they should on this specific engine. But you may get lucky and not have any issues, for the time being.

This is not the only engine that may not run right with Botch plugs! NGK and Denso make some of the worlds best and longest lasting plugs in the OEM Iridium plug. Why change to something else when the original Denso Iridium plugs I took out of my DIL's 99RX at 97K mi. looked in beautiful shape. If I had not already bought the plugs (for about $8. ea., they list for about $20.), I would not have replaced them even then. They looked like they had 15-20k mi on them. I no longer use Bosch in anything.

I had problems on a Honda, Mercedes with Bosch plugs...Talked to an independent garage that does only BMW and Mercedes and he said Bosch plugs give him a lot of business. Usually work fine for a week or two then they missfire on these cars...Yep stay with Denso or NGK

• 1 year later...

Anyone had any experience with Pulstar brand iridium plugs?

Here are the claims:

•Latest in performance ignition technology

•Provides up to 12 percent more horsepower and torque plus livelier throttle response than conventional spark plugs

•Allows more efficient burning of fuel and generates a much larger spark at twice the speed than ordinary spark plugs

•Promotes an increased gas mileage and greater horsepower to the wheels

•Reduces carbon dioxide emissions and provides cleaner exhaust and more efficient combustion

•Uses an internal circuit that delivers up to 1,000,000 watts of peak power that increases peak spark current by up to 20,000 times that of a traditional spark plug

Anyone had any experience with Pulstar brand iridium plugs?

Here are the claims:

•Latest in performance ignition technology

•Provides up to 12 percent more horsepower and torque plus livelier throttle response than conventional spark plugs

•Allows more efficient burning of fuel and generates a much larger spark at twice the speed than ordinary spark plugs

•Promotes an increased gas mileage and greater horsepower to the wheels

•Reduces carbon dioxide emissions and provides cleaner exhaust and more efficient combustion

•Uses an internal circuit that delivers up to 1,000,000 watts of peak power that increases peak spark current by up to 20,000 times that of a traditional spark plug

I'm not bad mouthing Pulsar plugs, but don't you think the car manufacturer would put them in as OEM if they were that miraculous? They should sell those at the county fair on the midway along with the rest of the snake oil. Denso and NGK Iridium plugs are some of the finest and long lasting plugs I've ever seen. I replaced them in my DIL's RX at 97k mi. and if I hadn't already bought the plugs, I never would have never replaced them. They were the ORIGINAL plugs and looked like they had no more than 20K mi. Checked the gap and it was EXACTLY what the new ones were. Iridium is the hardest metal known to man and just doesn't wear. (At least not on REAL iridium plugs, like NGK and Denso.)

Bosch plugs tend to have problems and don't run as they should on this specific engine. But you may get lucky and not have any issues, for the time being.

"If I had not already bought the plugs (for about $8. ea., they list for about $20.), I would not have replaced them even then. They looked like they had 15-20k mi on them."

So where does one get these $8 iridium NGK plugs? Can you please provide a hyperlink? Thanks.

Here is one place:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=RX300&year=2001&catalogCode=521410&VAID=2217,2218,2219,2220&selectConditions=()&sectionID=1&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=19-01&componentsIndex=21

However there is a long list. Sewell Lexus online, RockAuto, etc...If you sign up with Sewell online and show your membership to this forum they will give you a discount...

Here is one place:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=RX300&year=2001&catalogCode=521410&VAID=2217,2218,2219,2220&selectConditions=()&sectionID=1&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=19-01&componentsIndex=21

However there is a long list. Sewell Lexus online, RockAuto, etc...If you sign up with Sewell online and show your membership to this forum they will give you a discount...

Cool, thanks man!

Here is one place:

Also, on RockAuto's web site they offer two type of iridium NGK plugs: NGK P/N 3764 which are iridium IX or NGK P/N 4589 which is Premium Iridium. Do you recommend one over the other? I wonder what the difference is and if it is beneficial to spend a little more for the premium ones???

Here is one place:

Also, on RockAuto's web site they offer two type of iridium NGK plugs: NGK P/N 3764 which are iridium IX or NGK P/N 4589 which is Premium Iridium. Do you recommend one over the other? I wonder what the difference is and if it is beneficial to spend a little more for the premium ones???

The NGK are good, dont know the difference but there is also Denso iridium plugs as well.

Here is one place:

The NGK are good, dont know the difference but there is also Denso iridium plugs as well.

Thanks again. I ordered the Denso plugs from Rock Auto for $49 shipped. I purchased the iridium long life(SK20R11) plugs cause that is the P/N on the part detail on the Lexus Parts Now website.

Dom

Yep, those are fantastic plugs...Dont even look worn or bad at 125k miles...Somebody still had the originals at 250k miles and I am not surprised...Man beats the old days when I had to clean and gap every 10k miles on the old british cars...

Yep, those are fantastic plugs...Dont even look worn or bad at 125k miles...Somebody still had the originals at 250k miles and I am not surprised...Man beats the old days when I had to clean and gap every 10k miles on the old british cars...

We've come a long way BABY! Thomas, when I was a youngster (yea, that was a long time ago) :lol: I drove Olds 88's, and though I didn't drive crazy, those Olds just WANTED to go fast. Open country in Ill. and not many on the road made it easy. I had to CHANGE the plugs at 10k mi. because they were burned up! Bet you're glad it's not that way now with your F-150, although it may have been the Champions (that you run) that were burning up, I don't remember.

We've come a long way BABY! Thomas, when I was a youngster (yea, that was a long time ago) :lol: I drove Olds 88's, and though I didn't drive crazy, those Olds just WANTED to go fast. Open country in Ill. and not many on the road made it easy. I had to CHANGE the plugs at 10k mi. because they were burned up! Bet you're glad it's not that way now with your F-150, although it may have been the Champions (that you run) that were burning up, I don't remember.

You and I relate, I started my life with all of the British cars, MG, Triumph, Jaguar...They ate points (bet a lot of people dont know what those are) and plugs...Yea technology is great...By the way I have a feeling you and I are close in age.

By the way I have a feeling you and I are close in age.

Lets just say I'm actually old enough to remember when my mom came to the door and said to my dad (working on the car in the driveway) that the president had just declared war. I was YOUNG, but I can remember it like it was yesterday. I'm still active and young at heart (and to the chagrin of my brothers) still have most of my hair and most of the color! :)

MG, Triumph, Jaguar ??? My, Thomas, you WERE a glutton for punishment weren't you? :lol:

Points?, yea, sure don't miss them!